Scammell Explorer Gallery

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
:goodidea: And they seem to be holding up so well...:wow:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62450[/ATTACH]

Love the manually applied through the broken windscreen exhaust brake too!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62449[/ATTACH]

:rofl::rofl::rofl: There really is no Grit in your eye's Bernard ! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Call that an Explorer, naw,---- this is an Explorer.

The secret weapon for REME no-one talked about, the turbo-driven go-faster one-off Scammell.

Not sure whether FVRDE had a hand in it, but the idea was to hold all that power in check and to keep the front end from lifting under acceleration.

Special sideboards to smooth wind-resistance and a roof aerofoil which doubles as a cargo box if required.

The raised hatch on the rear acts as a parachute, deployed from the cab at will, for braking!

It didn’t catch on, so, I believe, only one was made.

The shape of the sloping exit rear board suggests it was possibly amphibious, too!

hello chaps any one no mutch about this one ?reason im asking im in contact with a chap on the north devon / cornwall border who may own it it was on ebay 6 months ago twice failed to sell but has gone to devon on ebay it was pink but he insists its red when t cut does anyone know if its one and the same ? the way he discribes the er modifications it may well be

hi all god knows how long its been last visit.

any way my name is clive and i run a recovery bussiness cj rescue.

had to go to westbury in wilts to recover a van as i was driving down there a explorer jumped up from a hedge.

with my name on thats as much as im saying for now but i wants it.

just have to tell wife and who ever owns it.:cool2:

ok having looked in to it a little further page 122 post #1211 ,page 138 post #1377 and page 169 post #1684 are all one and the same the first photo was taken in 86 or 87 in durham it is now being cared for by a chap in north devon who is removing all the body modifcations and returning it to something we will all recognise

he has reskinned the doors and inside one of them found a hand written note saying 1 of only 50 made with 1500 ltr meadows petrol ,heavy haulage record 478 tons salisbury 1955 this vehicle is for sale (date of note is not known )

civvy reg is esu 197 military is either 01 bp 80 or 07 bp 80 ( is it more likely bd ) 1952 chassis 9211 it does not as yet appear in any form in the index yet

ive let him have a few bits to help along the way he is most keen to get hold of the 4 tubes that mount the mug gaurds to the front axle hubs if any body can help let me know please andy

Edited by scammell 7377
correcting info

• 4 weeks later...

And if Bernard can't find it there is a clutch in the steel-bodied 20 Ton which may soon become accessible (no idea on condition as I haven't run it :whistle:)

I'm not sure that these cracks are a serious issue, so long as you have the surface skimmed - anyone care to comment?

I'm not sure that these cracks are a serious issue, so long as you have the surface skimmed - anyone care to comment?

Tony,

I have come across cracked flywheel faces in my time with tractors and heavies. I would not condemn the flywheel without having it faced, as it is usually just surface cracks from slipping. I do recollect lifting one of those flywheels out with the help of a crane and rope down through the cupola ....... bloody heavy !!