Scammell Explorer Gallery

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the pics Thor, nice to see it when it was a little tidier. I think the guy standing behind the Scammell is the previous owner (I recognise the rigger boots). The old thing is going to be put to work this weekend, after a long rest, I've got to winch some trees out of a big hole, i've got the winch drum freed off, but the brake lever shaft is solid. I hope i'll have enough room behind the vehicle to use the winch without a brake unless the plus gas

works miracles.

Hi sambob thats not the owner stood behind.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

He put it right on its side at slab common i think a good few years ago.. He's not holding back there is he, just shows how tough they are when you remember that's 12 tons bouncing about and dropping into pot holes. I feel more confident about driving mine gently down a smooth road after seeing that...

Hi Niels , this one has a big ground anchor on the rear ! I wonder if the wheel scotches would be as effective ? :D

Another way was to dig a hole between the rear wheels, each side and drop a gun plank in so the leading wheel pulls back against the plank and in turn on to the rear wheel. Ground being rock hard at this time, that would not have been easy to dig.

..l. Ground being rock hard at this time,.....

Yes, I got the distinct impression the dozer - whilst it may have initially have got into a bit of wet ground - was suffering here more from frozen up tracks (especially left hand one) since it was stuggling to help the Scammell, even when sitting on top of the ground!

Interesting comments,and i see close examination of the footage. Dozer was in fact lost to the boggy patch ahead of the snow,my man for fear of my reaction failed to tell me and i only found out mid week last after the snowfall and frosts!

Knowing that the thaw was due and the area is all fill material we decided to air the Explorer and burn off Sunday lunch. The spades in virgin ground usually hold quickly but not so in this material. I could spin the tracks on the Track Marshall with a bit of clutch abuse but being so bellied out she was frozen onto the deck and needed help all the way.

Still able to earn its keep after over 50 years ,i love it.:thumbsup:

Interesting comments,and i see close examination of the footage. Dozer was in fact lost to the boggy patch ahead of the snow,my man for fear of my reaction failed to tell me and i only found out mid week last after the snowfall and frosts!

Knowing that the thaw was due and the area is all fill material we decided to air the Explorer and burn off Sunday lunch. The spades in virgin ground usually hold quickly but not so in this material. I could spin the tracks on the Track Marshall with a bit of clutch abuse but being so bellied out she was frozen onto the deck and needed help all the way.

Still able to earn its keep after over 50 years ,i love it.:thumbsup:

And so do I John ! Thanks for the explanation ! I look forward to seeing her for the next fifty years !