Scammell Explorer Gallery

Just have to see one being driven off road by someone who knows what their doing to realize just why they have such a following. Must of been the most capable off road recovery truck of it's time. There still isn't much to match one now. Only 13 tons in weight so quite light really and fitted with 450 foot of winch rope so easy to rig up big winch pulls without using extra extensions to the cable. Winch speed is a tad fast though. The jibs pretty useless though for suspend towing modern stuff unless you like pulling wheelies:cool2: Oh did i mention they look stunning:-D

You've got to get one Andy...

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there something in the genetic code of a Britton, that makes one feel that Scammel Explorers are the dog's danglies?:nut:

En France il y a ceux qui considèrent le SUMB pour être les noix du chien , ne pas le Scammell.

smiley-bonk.gif

Edited by N.O.S.

Some pictures of Bills scammell at work....The ground was too soft for the Foden. So the scammell was called up. Apparently the plan was to reverse the Scammell till it got stuck then keep going till it buried itself and made itself fast. think the Bulldozer was used to help anchor the scammell too. Just as the digger was about to come out the operator stuck the boom in the ground to "help" and the winch cable broke. Got it out in the end though....http://hesletonrecovery.co.uk/LatestRecovery.aspx

Some pictures of Bills scammell at work....The ground was too soft for the Foden. So the scammell was called up. Apparently the plan was to reverse the Scammell till it got stuck then keep going till it buried itself and made itself fast. think the Bulldozer was used to help anchor the scammell too. Just as the digger was about to come out the operator stuck the boom in the ground to "help" and the winch cable broke. Got it out in the end though....http://hesletonrecovery.co.uk/LatestRecovery.aspx
nice link but got ask . how did the 360 driver get it stuck (has he still got a job):-D & did the scammell get it out . ive driven 360 for a number of yrs & never managed to do that & im a :nut: in a machine nice pics

nice link but got ask . how did the 360 driver get it stuck (has he still got a job):-D & did the scammell get it out . ive driven 360 for a number of yrs & never managed to do that & im a :nut: in a machine nice pics
Yep he pulled it ok, just had to put a snatch block in to reduce the load on the winch rope. Yep scammell got out ok no worries.

• 1 month later...

Just thought that i'd put a few pictures here of my new Explorer. I got it back on Thursday, and i've been working out what everything does (or doesn't do). If anyone has any photos of it in the past, i'd be grateful to see them. Restoration will begin after i've had some fun with it.

94 BD 54 - 913 UXM - 1955

Sam.

DSCF6010.jpg

DSCF6013.jpg

DSCF6014.jpg

Edited by Sambob1986

Just thought that i'd put a few pictures here of my new Explorer. I got it back on Thursday, and i've been working out what everything does (or doesn't do). If anyone has any photos of it in the past, i'd be grateful to see them. Restoration will begin after i've had some fun with it.

Sam.

A fine looking beast. Lots of fun and tears ahead me thinks. First off check the oil pumps in the gearbox (you shouls have a gauge or warning light in the cab that will move when you put your foot on the clutch. The gearbox pump won't work in newtral between first and reverse.... Check that the pump in the rear axle is working too. remove one of the pipes and drive it to see if any oil splurges out. Course you might know all this already, have you got any other big toys?

Thanks 'Protruck', it'll need plenty of work, I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Thanks for the info about the gearbox pump, 'rbrtcrowther' I'll make sure that I check this out. I read in a previous thread that the gearbox pump doesn't work between R and 1, even the previous owner didn't know about that and he had two explorers. I've got no other big toys, I've had plenty of Land Rovers and I look after a traction engine, but the Scammell is all new to me really. She's got a RR eagle 220 under the bonnet.

Sam.

Hi Sam , good to see another Scammell being looked after ! If you are keen to rebuild her with a crane again they are out there and available ! Good luck with her ! Regards Andy :D

Oh yeah...The jibs missing:red: I never even spotted it..... I wouldn't bother putting a jib back on it it's bloody useless, Unless you like pulling wheelies. Now a Hiab, that would be a good addition turns it into a rather useful tool. would seriously consider putting one on mine if i had the cash. Right at the back if i could figure out how to avoid it getting in the way of the winch fairleads.

Thanks for the pics Thor, nice to see it when it was a little tidier. I think the guy standing behind the Scammell is the previous owner (I recognise the rigger boots). The old thing is going to be put to work this weekend, after a long rest, I've got to winch some trees out of a big hole, i've got the winch drum freed off, but the brake lever shaft is solid. I hope i'll have enough room behind the vehicle to use the winch without a brake unless the plus gas works miracles.

if its anything like mine you will need some acytlene ?? i had to get both ends bright red then it only just moved i eventualy removed the handbrake lever and the little lever the other end and drove the shaft out i then ground down the bearing surface area a little with a grinder so it was a loose fit and aplied plenty of grease -- job done best of luck

andy