Scammell Explorer Gallery

:thumbsup: Great Link, especially this bit, which Antarmike will love.. :-D

To keep the troops happy and minds occupied, short exercises were arranged where a few vehicles would set off to visit areas where you would not normally get a chance to visit. These photos were taken on a 3 day trip to Ben Ulid and the mountains in the region. Obviously it was a photo opportunity for the new fangled Scammell Recovery 6x6 which we had recently taken on strength.

However, the Scammell had a surprise of it’s own to deliver. Back at base, as it drove into the LAD there was a very loud bang, sounds of compressed air escaping and dust and debris flying everywhere. Grinding to a stop the driver was very surprised to see one of his rear wheels, still attached to the brake drum, carry on past his cab and go bowling down the LAD forecourt. Luckily it came to rest without doing any damage.

Evidently Pickfords, who used a similar vehicle for heavy haulage in the UK, had experienced the same situation. Their fix was to fabricate a large spanner with a handle about 10ft long with which to apply sufficient torque to hold the bearing nut in place. Very primitive but that’s the solution we adopted until the backroom boys came up with a more secure method of locking the nut in place.

I would love to know what their secure method was!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbsup: Great Link, especially this bit, which Antarmike will love.. :-D

To keep the troops happy and minds occupied, short exercises were arranged where a few vehicles would set off to visit areas where you would not normally get a chance to visit. These photos were taken on a 3 day trip to Ben Ulid and the mountains in the region. Obviously it was a photo opportunity for the new fangled Scammell Recovery 6x6 which we had recently taken on strength.

However, the Scammell had a surprise of it’s own to deliver. Back at base, as it drove into the LAD there was a very loud bang, sounds of compressed air escaping and dust and debris flying everywhere. Grinding to a stop the driver was very surprised to see one of his rear wheels, still attached to the brake drum, carry on past his cab and go bowling down the LAD forecourt. Luckily it came to rest without doing any damage.

Evidently Pickfords, who used a similar vehicle for heavy haulage in the UK, had experienced the same situation. Their fix was to fabricate a large spanner with a handle about 10ft long with which to apply sufficient torque to hold the bearing nut in place. Very primitive but that’s the solution we adopted until the backroom boys came up with a more secure method of locking the nut in place.

I would love to know what their secure method was!

An arc welder........

• 2 months later...
Thanks for posting chrisg. Someone has spent a fair bit of time modifying this. Interesting mod on the crane too. Is it in private ownership or with a garage?

26/#43 BSJ 271 Edward Colins, Cummins L10 ................:coffee:

Just one drive of Forceful and he had to go for Cummins power..:drive::D:D:D:D...its infectious!

Well, someone has to disagree but I think it is ugly, and spoilt by too much crap welded or bolted onto it....

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: I'm afraid i would have to agree with you on this but might have used phrases like "Its not my cup of tea" Or "its lost it's classic looks" But at the end of the day yes it has got "too much crap welded or bolted onto it":rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: I'm afraid i would have to agree with you on this but might have used phrases like "Its not my cup of tea" Or "its lost it's classic looks" But at the end of the day yes it has got "too much crap welded or bolted onto it":rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I thought "too much crap welded or bolted onto it" summed it up quite nicely.:whistle:

....said the man with a load of crap welded and bolted to the front of his Explorer :D

Oh I forgot - that's the prototype 432 secondary braking system being trialled. :cool2:

Edited by N.O.S.

....said the man with a load of crap welded and bolted to the front of his Explorer :D

Oh I forgot - that's the prototype 432 secondary braking system being trialled. :cool2:

:rofl:Very good N.O.S. !!

Well, someone has to disagree but I think it is ugly, and spoilt by too much crap welded or bolted onto it....

The front box and bumper bar are from it's commercial days and the rear body was not there, as it was being kept in a showman's yard at the time, Edward was heavily influenced in that style when he built the new body and fittings, he does propper work with it, even recovered a complete funfair tractor and road train back home.

So all done for a good reason.

So don't knock what you don't understand. :pfrt:

....said the man with a load of crap welded and bolted to the front of his Explorer :D Oh I forgot - that's the prototype 432 secondary braking system being trialled. :cool2:
You have no idea how close to the truth you are about the secondary braking system.....It's just held up with two chains looped over two bent bits of rod.......However if you jiggle the chains as if the scammell was bouncing along the road they unhook themselves leaving the jaws of death just standing up in their own! There is now all sorts of rope tied round the thing in order to prevent me from being fired through the windscreen. It takes chunks out of the tarmac when you let it drop

You have no idea how close to the truth you are about the secondary braking system.....It's just held up with two chains looped over two bent bits of rod.......However if you jiggle the chains as if the scammell was bouncing along the road they unhook themselves leaving the jaws of death just standing up in their own! There is now all sorts of rope tied round the thing in order to prevent me from being fired through the windscreen. It takes chunks out of the tarmac when you let it drop

Do you think you'll leave it on Rob? It must be a talking point when you're out and about. Not original but part of the Scammell's history and an adaptation for intended use....much like the yellow one......:cool2:

It's staying on for now mainly because it makes removing the engine a bit easier as i can just pop a jack under it and lift the front. Its also hugely welded on. Also had lots of comments about it looking pretty mean "A bit like the Jeepers Creepers truck...or the duel truck." Perhaps i should put it in for some film work......