Scammell Explorer Gallery

you don't know where the three you've seen are now do you?

The New Zealand army retains one i believe Watkins Housemovers in the Hawkes Bay has one and the third was broken up for spares (I have the makers plate from the back of the cab)

Dave

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah its alright just a fractured fuel pipe as it turns out, there was talk of dodgy lift pumps but its up and running now.

Cheers for posting the video was a great sound being pulled up the hill onto the site just a shame The Beast let us down on the way to its first proper show.

Cheers

Pete

Nah its alright just a fractured fuel pipe as it turns out, there was talk of dodgy lift pumps but its up and running now.

Cheers for posting the video was a great sound being pulled up the hill onto the site just a shame The Beast let us down on the way to its first proper show.

Cheers

Pete

Hi Pete , glad it was nothing expensive ! Joys of playing with these old girls I guess ! Hope to see some more video of you out enjoying driving her soon ! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry to say, but I now officially own an Explorer. I have sold my Matador, and paid Andi for the Scammell, and it is now mine. Pity really because I don't like them and I regret having bought it, someone please find me a buyer....please

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Im after some advice....

I have just spent the weekend playing with an Explorer i bought to restore earlier in the year. I have managed to find out what most controls in the cab do, but have a couple of questions, Firstly there is a leaver on the front bulkhead above the engine cover, linked to the air system. What does, or more likely what should it do?

Secondly i have got both whinches working, but wondered if the main whinch should power out (like a land rover PTO whinch which can be used in reverse to spool out) I can't find any combination of leavers which reverses drive to the whinch- and its hardwork pulling the cable out by hand!- does it have a reverse facility and if so how is it done?

Thanks

Im after some advice....

I have just spent the weekend playing with an Explorer i bought to restore earlier in the year. I have managed to find out what most controls in the cab do, but have a couple of questions, Firstly there is a leaver on the front bulkhead above the engine cover, linked to the air system. What does, or more likely what should it do?

Secondly i have got both whinches working, but wondered if the main whinch should power out (like a land rover PTO whinch which can be used in reverse to spool out) I can't find any combination of leavers which reverses drive to the whinch- and its hardwork pulling the cable out by hand!- does it have a reverse facility and if so how is it done?

Thanks

Lever on the dash is a trailer brake valve, so that when descending hills, you can brake the trailer, without braking the Explorer. This holds everthing in line, and leaves you with a set of cool brakes, if the trailer brakes start to overheat and fade.

The winch only powers in at one speed. It cannot be paid out.

You have to lift the drum dog clutch clear and pull the cable off the drum by hand (well many hands actually), or if you can do it reverse up to the casualty, attach the winchrope, drive forward pulling cable off the free drum, then when in your chosen winching spot, engage the winch to pull the casualty out of trouble.

Edited by antarmike

Im after some advice....

Thanks

Always thought the lever on the dashboard was a hill holder, used to hold the vehicle on a hill to enable a smooth start, not always possible with a ratchet handbrake

As always I stand to be corrected (just that the Explorer I had I couldnt work out why it wouldnt move (as if the brakes seized on) until some one told me about the valve

Always thought the lever on the dashboard was a hill holder, used to hold the vehicle on a hill to enable a smooth start, not always possible with a ratchet handbrake

As always I stand to be corrected (just that the Explorer I had I couldnt work out why it wouldnt move (as if the brakes seized on) until some one told me about the valve

The hill Holder is below the steering wheel, on the right of the steering Column., A mechanical linkage to to footbrake pedal, with no connection to the air system.

Hill holder was to free the drivers foot from the footbrake, so he could work accelerator and clutch with either foot, and release the brakes via the hand lever.....in situations where you might not have wanted to use the handbrake anyway, like starting uphill with a casualty.

Hill holder puts on all brakes, including the casualty, but the handbrake, of course, only works back axles of the Explorer. (and on a steep hill, with a heavy casualty that may not be enough!

Edited by antarmike

Yep Mike has it spot on. Big leaver with the ball on the end near the steering coloum is the hilll holder and the valve above the engine cover is the trailer brake. if your scammell has sprung towing hitches it is a first contract ( and in my opinion the best contract:cool2:)it will not have the hill hloder brake on the coloum. There is another valve on the bulkhead just above the accelerator pedal, This should be closed for normal use and only opened if the need arises to push a trailer with the ability to work the brakes ie down a bloomin big hill. If this valve is left open the trailer reaction valve above the engine cover will work all the brakes on the tractor. mine was in the open position when i got my explorer as i suppose people use it as a hill holder as the first contracts were not fitted with one, they were fitted with a transmission brake on the back of the gearbox, most trasmission brakes wee removed in service as huge expensive damage could be done by applying it on the move. mine however still has one:D hope this has confused you some more:nut:

Later contracts had the transmission brake deleted and the ability to operate trailer brakes through the front coupling heads deleted also. They were fitted with the hill holder brake however (namby pambys can't do a hill start with a hand throttle eh:cool2:) They had no heater either or cab insulation and for some reason wrere about a ton lighter:D