Scammell Explorer Gallery

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Bernard that is very kind of you ! I'm looking forward to the show even more now if thats possible ! I remember you mentioning a problem with the gearbox casing where the gearlever gate mounts and wondered if you have found a sucsessfull modification to this as mine has had the alumnium casting welded previously but now has the start of a new crack appearing ! Would like to sort it while the old girl is stripped down ! Also found the metalastick couplings breaking apart ! These I have managed to source from ads on milweb! Regards Andy F

This is the gate on the very late RAF Explorer that I nearly bought. There are two tie bars running from the back down through the floor. I will try and get better pictures next time I see it, don't know quite when it will be though.

1000003imgeu2.jpg

I thought it would be be sensible to start a new topic "Explorer fixes and workarounds" where owners could post pics, tips & mods etc.

Done that.

Sounds a good idea to me, thanks Bernard. :D

As it seems green is not a requirement here, this one shows Edward Collins and Explorer, clearly a man not worried about compromising his position! :-D this Explorer is currently undergoing a Cummins L10 transplant, to save the planet, you'll understand!

image5-1.jpg

Just found these amongst my old pics one is Benbecula RA ranges the other is a commando unit in portsmouth

So there is some truth in the story that the reason a lot of Explorers have no engine side covers is because they were taken off, left against the wheel and driven over! I'm glad to see the later pic shows this didn't happen in your case :)

BTW what is the double grill modification for?

As it seems green is not a requirement here, this one shows Edward Collins and Explorer, clearly a man not worried about compromising his position! :-D this Explorer is currently undergoing a Cummins L10 transplant, to save the planet, you'll understand!

image5-1.jpg

Now thats bright yellow ! Will she still require an amber rotating beacon?:-D