1st LandRover was a Jeep

Nick Johns

No the first Land Rover was a Land Rover, a few bits of Jeep were used. Mind you then they got the Dodge and the Long Wheel Base was born. :angel:

More than a few Jeep bits in the 1st prototype it was a complete Willys mb rolling chassis with a Rover car engine, gearbox and Rover bodywork and central driving position

Check out the pics of the running gear in the LR mag

The 1st production 80" was entirely Land Rover

Thats what i like about my Austin Gipsy, British from the beginning to the end!

Yes indeed, there were some good points Landrover should have taken from the Gipsy, they were responsible for its demise, being the larger 4x4 producer when Austin and Rover merged as British Leyland

Yes indeed, there were some good points Landrover should have taken from the Gipsy, they were responsible for its demise, being the larger 4x4 producer when Austin and Rover merged as British Leyland

Yep. Like the engine, especially the diesel, the gear box, the axles, the driving position.

What I like about the proto was they weren't sure if they were building for home market or export, so they put steering wheel in the middle with one front seat, also in the middle.

The original Jeep steering box was kept in it's original location, but the tube and shaft were cut. A steering wheel was mounted on another shaft running in bearings, and the two shafts linked together with chain and sprockets.

I bet there was a bit of play in the steering.

If I remeber the Jeep wheelbase is 80" and that is why the first Series one's were also 80". A straightforward copy

Look at the origional Diahatsu and Suzuki Lj series;......80 inch and Very jeep like underpinnings.........

(and a willys/ford jeep body tub fits pretty well on suzi chassis; :whistle:)

Andy

ANDY! ANDY!! ANDY!!!! Even I wouldn't wish a Jeep on a Suzuki. Now an Isuzu 3.1 turbo diesel in a Range Rover, well I have the 2.8 turbo in mine, super bit of kit and Isuzu, very helpful people reckon the 3.1 is the best they do.

Look at the original Diahatsu and Suzuki Lj series;......80 inch and Very jeep like underpinnings.........

(and a willys/ford jeep body tub fits pretty well on suzi chassis; :whistle:)

Andy

Pretty sure there was one for sale recently - was it in CMV ? Or ebay ? Anyway - jeep bod on LJ chassis.

Thought it was a bit pointless really - might as well go all the way & get a Jago jeep & be really silly

ANDY! ANDY!! ANDY!!!! Even I wouldn't wish a Jeep on a Suzuki. Now an Isuzu 3.1 turbo diesel in a Range Rover, well I have the 2.8 turbo in mine, super bit of kit and Isuzu, very helpful people reckon the 3.1 is the best they do.

Tony,...........

I've owned land Rovers, both ser 2 88' and ser 1 86' 2ltr(which was a dam good off road)...also owned both 410 and 413 suzi's;....................Ok on road, VERY like series landys,.................if you know what I mean,....Off road,...........well, will leave a lot of other 4x4's struggling.......

Pretty sure there was one for sale recently - was it in CMV ? Or ebay ? Anyway - jeep bod on LJ chassis.

Thought it was a bit pointless really - might as well go all the way & get a Jago jeep & be really silly

apart from keeping 4x4 caperbility. ;-)

And building yopurself a low(er)cost jeep. Not everyone can justify spending upwards of £10 grand on said vehicle,........OR as Rick is doing, rebuilding one.

Yes, there is one that gets to Chatham, on occasions; thou cc engine, and running gear/ chassis/axles are suzi, body tub etc is willys, and wheels are same, I believe. this one has even had the steering re-located to the left hand side, (steering box is in ammo box located in front of grill.

Looks Very Good.(in my opinion. :-D)