Royal logistics corps Museum, Deepcut

I have finally got round to a visit to what must be the mecca of British Darksiders, the Royal Logistic Corps museum at Deepcut. Now holders of the British military vehicle records. the museum is on the edge of the Princess Royal Barracks. The first good thing is entry is free. the exhibits are nicely laid out, and are a very eclectic mix. Primary exhibit is an Eager Beaver, I've taken a lot of pictures if anyone wants copies. there is also Montgomery's Rolls Royce and a BIKE! :-D It is also a very friendly place, Erica, who is charge of records promptly took the 101 details and put them into the system, leaving me to mooch about and take photographs freely. Although some exhibits are cased, for obvious reasons a lot is on open display allowing you to get in close and personnel, a great help if you are looking to restore stuff. One thing the museum does very well is to present the people behind the equipment. the amount of decorations awarded to members of the RLC and its predecessors is staggering, as is the level of awards. As the icing on the cake I got a free cup of tea :coffee2: Although only a small museum, it does justice to the men and women who served and still serve in what is often seen as the easy option of military life.

Cheers for the write up, Tony.

Been thinking of visiting this museum, for a while, as I 'dress' RASC wwii; (my father served with the corps in wwii and beyond.)

Is there much wwii related RASC stuff, there ?? (reason for asking is your opening paragraph, 'a mecca for British Darksiders,..........and the fact the RLC was formed a while after RASC/RCT were merged along with other corps to form RLC)

Andy

Hey Andy, the museum covers right through the history of Logistics. Because it is small the staff are also very helpful when asked specific questions. I know Andy wants to make more of the museum, so introduce yourself with a knowledgeable intrest and who knows?

did you have to book to get your vehicle details

No the easy way is by post. As many details of the vehicle as possible. Military registration, type of vehicle chassis number any other details of the data plate. The cost is £25 for first vehicle, £15 for any subsequent vehicles. I took my details down with me and Erica was kind enough to put them straight into the system. All the contact details at this site. http://www.army.mod.uk/rlc/rlc_shop_museum/index.htm

Though if you visit it does depend on what she is doing.

• 5 months later...

As an upcoming visitor from OZ (with 3 ex British vehicles at home), just where is this museum? We will be in England/Europe next year, for the 65th Anniversary of D Day, and to visit a number of other memorials. I would like to obtain some information on our WW1 Albion A10 3tonner. Do they have records going back that far? thanks Rick

http://www.armymuseums.org.uk/museums/0000000107-Royal-Logistic-Corps-Museum.htm

However, I have to point out that their instructions recommend the M3 Junction 3.

I used to work the other side of Junction 3 nearly 20 years ago. To get off the M3 at J3 at all London-bound, if I did not reach J3 before 0800hrs, I did not get off. The commuter traffic joining there backed up the motorway for miles. It has only got worse since and during the rush hour, gridlock is the word of the day.

Thanks for your reply Tony,

We are still in the early planning stage. We hope to come over for the War and Peace Show, D Day, some Steam Rallies and more. Thinking about purchasing a mobile home/camper-van, and that will cover our accommodation and transport. Then sell it when we leave. Any clues there will be of assistance. Never been over there before, so it is all new to us.

Regards Rick

any idea how long you will be over for and the dates from and to

as i could let you know of a few rallies in sussex which is not far from w&p

most rallies are at the weekends so during the week you can do various museums during the week and rally the weekend

along the south we have lots of museums varing from old forts like dover througth to bovington tank museum

any info please let me know as a coach driver i tend to end up at some quite a bit

Depending on how long you have got. If you have your own transport, it would be worth taking a day trip from Kent across to France/Belgium. you can do most of the northern areaes of intrest in a day, couple of days. Normandy would take a bit longer realistically. If you want to buy a vehicle, you will need a UK address to register it to. There is bound to be somone here who has done similar.

And no doubt the nortern contingent will be making thier pitch.