Mystery Object No.80

fv1609

I thought all vehicle wiring was a uniform white - with illegible tags either end...????

Yellow with illegible tags either end

So - the colours were used to mark pipes, vehicle interiors and engines but thats not all. Whats left - transmissions???

Yes and....

Interiors of naval vessels???

Nope, well obviously they were painted to requirements of Naval Engineering Standards but not relevant to this group of paints in Army useage.

I think we need to cue Andy Williams (assuming he's not dead) "We are almost there"....

Were these the colours used on cutaway training aids for MT, each colour denoting a particular item such as brakes, fuel, etc.?

Yes well done Richard, you were the one I thought would get it. I gave too many clues out at the end, i didn't realise you were still up. I thought you had gone bed or been overwhelmed by the turkey :yay: :yay:

width=581 height=800http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/fv1620/colourcode1.jpg[/img]

Although you will see that much of the Champ engine below is incorrectly painted.

width=640 height=480http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/fv1620/DSCF2950.jpg[/img]

Well thank you Clive ;-)

It suddenly dawned on my about the colours, nearly 20 years ago, I was stripping some useful parts of a Bedford QL training aid that was being scrapped at a certain training establishment.

I had been overwhelmed by the turkey, parsnips, stuffing and everything else. Just watched a film and thought I would check the forum out before retiring. Had a good run this week, thats 3 I think :whistle:

Richard

You could well be right actually - I thought the other Richard said it was air-cooled down at Beltring - but a lot has happened since then and my short term memory is dodgy at the best of times.....

Not to worry, Neil. I was not sure quite how similar the OT-90 was to the BMP-1. Hopefully it will not be too long before you can go and look at the new machine.