Mystery Object No.77

fv1609

Is it something along the lines of reccomended prices for Local Procurement purchases?

Good idea, but it isn't that because if you look at syrup, jams, & marmalade they would be far too cheap.

There are a couple of items there, which give a different sort of clue as to what it is all about.

It isn't something like the prices paid in compensation for goods destroyed during battle(or something along those lines) is it :?

Interesting line of thought, but nope.

There are two items that give away what part of HM Forces are concerned here. One of these items has sometimes been used as slang.

Costings, so much issued per no. crew per fixed period of time? :nut:John.

A good idea but nope.

The table shown is not actually from a Navy publication, but from another Government department, oh sorry we've got to call it an 'agency' now.

(Strange how Ministries became Departments & now they are Agencies :dunno:)

Duty charges ..........other word customs?

Yes well done Degsy

Yes when I said:

"If it helps, it's to do with customs prevailing in the Navy in 1938". It was not "customs" as in traditions but "customs" as in excise duty!

It is from "Instructions in regard to relations with the Navy, Customs Code Vol. 1, Part 9, Sect. 5, Para. 72, July 1938"

width=640 height=610http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/fv1620/ChristmasCake01.jpg[/img]

I could understand the duty on fags & booze, but duty on celery seed & pepper seems a bit much. Hardly worthwhile taxing tinned tomatoes, syrup, jams & marmalade!

In Oct 1949 the duty was removed from celery seed, corned beef, currants, sultannas, tinned tomatoes & lime juice but duty was then levied on lemon powder.

I can't believe how long it took for it to dawn on me, it was obvious from the start that it wasn't the cost of the items, far too cheap. :oops:

Yes it easy to see how easy it was once you have twigged it. But you did well many great minds who often do well on these didn't click into it all! Not even the giveaway of the rum & the lime!

But I think there are a few watchers, I always feel that if an object doesn't hit 100 views before they get the answer I have failed to produce something challenging & interesting, but it is surprising the number of hits that continue once you allow for the relatively few participants to have viewed the final answer.