Re: STALWART in USA

Mark

Never heard of anyone like that over here , its a big place . all I can do is hope he passes through someday . There isnt a state or local MV club in the state or area yet , I have chatted with one other collector about forming a group out of five or so people he know's of but thats all thats happen so far . To put this one State in some kind of scale to travel E/W by interstate highway at 75 mph Omaha to Henry would take 7hr 17 min. 495 miles... to go N/S not sure of routes statis interstate multi lane or more likely secondary road from Valientine to Superior speed unknown but probably 55 mph would take 3 hr26 min. 198 miles . Being in the center of the country i can also say its 1888 miles from Boston Mass to Omaha Ne. to California a little less roughly 3100 miles total about 2 days if you could drive non-stop

• 2 years later...

hey JimK, how do you manage to keep her still when towing her that way. My experience has been she has always managed to move about on the suspension. I try to fix the wheels not the chassis...what is your experience, although I guess your roads are a bit straighter than ours

After ~1000 miles I have never seen any movement. The 2 rear chains are fixed length with snap hooks. After installing I drive forward to put them under load. This compresses the rear suspension and unloads the front. The front is then ratcheted down a few inches. The suspension compression is what keeps things from moving.

b52 rome small .jpg

• 3 years later...

Hello Everyone,

My Name is Bob Nelson. I live in Tenino, wa. USA I own the stolly # 10 Ep 50. When I got it engine was locked up, I have since got it turning over and almost running. This stolly is in excellent shape and is complete with swim gear! I might trade it for a Nice 2 1/2 ton or 5 ton?

Bob

Bobs phone 022.jpg

• 1 year later...
Greetings,

Here are two more pictures. There is a 5ton (72' M813A1) that will be taking over this year's towing duties. JimK

FV624,M706,M35A2,M813A1

attachment.php?attachmentid=25403&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1270430644

Jim, what is the trailer you are using, is it civvy? I am looking for something to tow my Saracen with my 5 ton and most of the trailers being sold aren't low enough (5 ton tag along trailers have decks that are over 3 feet high). I was thinking of buying a civvy trailer, but not sure how the brakes and 24V and trailer plug would all work out with military setup.

Looks a bit like the Tilt Trailers we used to use behind Aveling Barford Tippers.

Often had Muirhill A5000's or 100B Crawler loaders on board.

I'm no expert on trailers, but this doesn't look like a tilt trailer, because the front seems welded to the frame. It has to be a US trailer, though, since importing one would be a colossal expense. I'm just wondering where I can find one like it:-)

Jim, what is the trailer you are using, is it civvy? I am looking for something to tow my Saracen with my 5 ton and most of the trailers being sold aren't low enough (5 ton tag along trailers have decks that are over 3 feet high). I was thinking of buying a civvy trailer, but not sure how the brakes and 24V and trailer plug would all work out with military setup.

Sorry about the slow reply. I did not see your question until today. The trailer is a commercial 10 ton Talbert w/ electric brakes. The frame is the same as their 20 ton and looks very strong. The axles/ e-brakes are Dexter. The e-brakes are a disappointment. I rebuilt them and still seem weak. The data plate allows for 11 tons if speed is under 50mph. The Stalwart is at the 11t max capacity. I put on 8 new tires, load range e or f. They are near the max rating on the sidewall. I will not drive the loaded trailer my asphalt driveway. Trailer feels safe but I would much rather have air brakes.

Rear axles are near rear pf trailer. The weight distribution is perfect with the rear engine Stalwart.

Harford .JPG

Talbert dimension 6000lbsJPG.JPG

Edited by jimk
add photo