Ether ?

Richard Grosvenor

Question

I may be stupid but where / how do you buy ether?

The reason for asking is we have an Ex-MOD 20 KVa Generator powered by a Ford 6 cyl diesel engine. In the instructions it says in cold weather to pump some ether into the engine before starting, there seems to be some still in the pump but I'd like to get some ready.

Ether's not the same as Easy Start is it? I've always been told never to use that as the engine can become hooked on it :|

regards

Richard

• Answers 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Yes that's exactly whats on our generator. :-)

I'll have a good look at the Hydraulic starter, there is an instruction plate on it but the only problem is the sticker which says if the switch is on or off is missing so I don't no if it's not building pressure because it's open or because of another fault. Saying that I haven't checked to see if it's full of oil. Hmmmm...I could go and do that now....better than sitting here eating nuts and pringles!

If I need them instructions N.O.S. I'll give you a shout. Many Thanks

Richard

:-) Ha Ha! I see now.

There's two levers, one is short and stubby and the other is longer and more like a pumping handle. Now, being a logical sort of person I presumed that the long pumpy lever was the one for pumping it up and the short stubby one was the on/off lever. BUT...I forgot, this is the army, and so as to confuse the enemy if it ever fell into the wrong hands the short stubby one is the pumping handle and the other one is the on/off. :whistle:

And it seems to work 8-). I couldn't get the pressure past 2000psi without an extension bar but I'm sure once I find something that fit's it should work fine

Thanks

Richard