New toy for Christmas

ferret

Thought I would treat myself for Christmas! :-D

The wife is getting some perfume, so she will be happy.

1942 BSA M20. I collect it on the 19th.

I got it off ebay.

I know you shouldn't buy anything without seeing it but I was drunk when I put the bid on :|

Chris

Thought I would treat myself for Christmas! :-D

The wife is getting some perfume, so she will be happy.

1942 BSA M20. I collect it on the 19th.

Chris

That must be some very good perfume your wife is getting to allow the purchase of the M20, you sure she was not drunk when you suggested it. :whistle:

hi Chris, Hope you enjoy your new toy.I was watching this on e bay and it looks one of the best M20s that been up for sale for ages.I,m glad its gone to a good home. Did you also buy the Triumph from the same guy? they both looked genuine machines... Good luck with the bikes , David

Belter!!!! Years back a pal of mine at school had one of the WD M20's which he used to roll up on every morning. Envy of everybody. It was just as it had come from a WD sale donkeys years before to his old man. He then passed it on the John. Still had the original canvas bags on the side. He still has it now, rotting away in his barn along with too many other rotting bikes which he is 'going to do up' some day. Yeah. Good to see one in fine fettle.

Have now got the bike home.

It is better than it looks in the picture!

Sounds great too!

Needs MOT so need to sort out a stop lamp and a reflector.

Did military bikes of this era not have a stop lamp?

I have some history with the bike which I will post later.

I am only the third owner since release in 1958.

I now have a full Despatch riders uniform for sale and a Manekin. If anybody is interested please contact me, otherwise it will be good old Ebay.

How is the new truck No Signals? Any pics yet?

Chris

Chris,

Looks very nice, your M20.

No, WD bikes had no stop lamp fitted, from 1941 they used a Lucas MT3/WD/MCT1 rear lamp. Cornucopia had loads once (postwar, with a number plate illumination window, but what the hell), but I think they all got bought by a Greek outfit that sell them on Ebay for funny money. By the looks of it you're missing the canvas grips (Ark motorcycles used to do them) and the passenger's saddle, which could be a bit of a pain to find. I'd take off the kneegrips too, seeing as they weren't used at the time.

I'm sure that you'll enjoy the M20, they're tough as nails, but never let you down.

BTW, what size is the DR gear?

Merry Christmas,

Stef

Chris,

what size is the DR gear?

Merry Christmas,

Stef

The Helmet is 6 3/4 1942

Leather jerkin is well worn and large

1940 pattern BD blouse size 13 1941

size 9 pantaloons

size 7m boots

Goggles have replacement strap, so very usable

gloves are large, rabbit skin lined with sheepskin in the gauntlet. Post war?

various bits of webbing dated 41,42

If any one interested pm me

Chris

Chris,

Looks very nice, your M20.

No, WD bikes had no stop lamp fitted, from 1941 they used a Lucas MT3/WD/MCT1 rear lamp. Cornucopia had loads once (postwar, with a number plate illumination window, but what the hell), Stef

You may still find these on E-bay i am sure it sounds similar to a boxed one i brought last year....mind you the box is still sealed :shake:

Ashley

Needs MOT so need to sort out a stop lamp and a reflector.

Did military bikes of this era not have a stop lamp?

Chris,

Vehicles made after about 1935 (ish), require a stop light by law, also the old WD tail light does not have enough area of lens to be legal.

The way I got around this was to retain the original WD tail light, there were no number plates on military motorcycles after about 1940, just census numbers on the tank. A tac sign was painted on the rear mudguard below the lamp, about 3" square. I then made a plate up, to carry a modern number plate and Stop / tail light, which has a reflector combined (1950/60 Triumph, BSA, etc type are good one). This plate hooked over the rear of the carrier and was secured by the big wing nuts on pannier frame. A small plug on the cable from the lamp, pushed in to a socket under the pillion seat. Then when on shows or displays, the rear number plate can be removed to reveal original lamp.

Richard

Pre-war and wartime rear lights certainly have a problem in terms of reflector area and as Richard says, a QD post-war lamp and number plate may be the most satisfactory solution.

I haven't quite worked out what I'm going to do with my 1939 bike's Lucas MT110 without stop light facility - It is pre-panniers so I may have to drill the number plate board as the lesser of two evils.

Paul Goff has some useful LED stop / tail conversions but they won't quite fit in a period housing.

http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffyleds.htm

I think that I may end up with a modern pattern MT110. I shall carefully preserve my original item in cotton wool (They fetch more than £100 on eBay y'know ! ;-))

lovely looking bike indeed I bought my m20 untried off ebay 2 years ago and although not as tidy as yours appears I am still quite happy with my purchase.As far as the rear light goes I use a repro lucas tubular type on a prewar type numberplate which is at least mot worthy and looks quite acceptable

nigel

Pre-war and wartime rear lights certainly have a problem in terms of reflector area and as Richard says, a QD post-war lamp and number plate may be the most satisfactory solution.

I haven't quite worked out what I'm going to do with my 1939 bike's Lucas MT110 without stop light facility - It is pre-panniers so I may have to drill the number plate board as the lesser of two evils.

I think that I may end up with a modern pattern MT110. I shall carefully preserve my original item in cotton wool (They fetch more than £100 on eBay y'know ! ;-))

A thought....

One way to get around the problem of only having a single light bulb to cater for both stop and tail functions would be to fit an inline resistor in parallel with the stop light switch. Theoretically, when the stop light switch contacts are closed the full 6v would travel through the switch, seeing as it offers the path of least resistance, and the rear lamp glow brighter as a consequence. I must admit to not having tried this out yet, but I can't see why it shouldn't work, as long as the resistor is mounted on a bit of metal to act as a heat sink.

Next bike I do I'll give it a go.

Best wishes for a happy new year,

Stefano

One way to get around the problem of only having a single light bulb to cater for both stop and tail functions would be to fit an inline resistor in parallel with the stop light switch.

When I restored my motorcycle, I valued my life, hence why it had the modern type of rearlight with integral reflector and a modern reflective number plate. All this was removable for shows. As I rode all over the country for hundreds of miles it was better safe than sorry. When I restore any WW2 vehicle that is going on the road, the lights are all fitted up to conform with the regs. With traffic so fast in the present day, people are not looking out for little glow worm lamps :|

When I restored my motorcycle, I valued my life, hence why it had the modern type of rearlight with integral reflector and a modern reflective number plate. All this was removable for shows. As I rode all over the country for hundreds of miles it was better safe than sorry. When I restore any WW2 vehicle that is going on the road, the lights are all fitted up to conform with the regs. With traffic so fast in the present day, people are not looking out for little glow worm lamps :|

Richard,

Quite right, I'm not actively trying to get people killed, just suggesting a solution to a problem...

Stefano