Military police vehicle radios

Gents, these are the Philips FM900 series radios used for "private" use by MP. These are remote mount, ie control head and main unit. These are joined by a cable.

I am told these are as removed from the vehicles, so are complete with mic, etc. These are 12 volt only, 24 volt vehicles were fitted with dropper units. These had to be left in place for the kit that replaced this.

I am told the units work, and so are still on MP net frequencies in VHF.

Cost to include delivery in UK is in the region of £30 a go.

I will do a bit more digging, and see what else I can find out. I will also see if my contact has removed any other goddies like blue lights etc. :whistle:

Are they worth having to mount in a vehicle, how many people can you talk to if they are still set to the original wave length etc??

Don't forget you need a licence & then you can't transmit on any current restricted frequencies.. :police:

If it's something you want to use rather than as a display item I would go for something like this... 8km range http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5530719/Trail/searchtext%3ERADIOS.htm

I will also see if my contact has removed any other goddies like blue lights etc. :whistle:

Gives me a flashback to November / December 1981. RMP in BAOR were struggling to cope with the increased IRA threat and I found myself commanding a Land Rover patrolling Paderborn and Sennelager on a Saturday when I had planned to pack up my privately-rented flat so that my new wife and I could move into Married Servicemen's Quarters I had taken over two days before (and booked leave). There was also the matter of the weekly shop at the Schloss Neuhaus NAAFI store. Wor Lass was less than impressed at me being dicked for this duty and gave me a shopping list for Sunday dinner at least.

About 1400 we managed to patrol in the area of the NAAFI store and replen, then patrol over in Elsen Heide (and my new MSQ) and drop off the rations, then continue on our way. We were lucky the NAAFI stayed open because traditionally German shops closed at midday Saturday to commence the sacrosanct weekend. Tracks and heavies were banned from the roads from AD (after duties) Friday to FP (first parade) Monday and no shooting apart from during first Saturday of the month and during Advent when they had Langer Samstag - Long Saturday or what we would consider Normal Saturday.

As 1600 came around, I had the driver head for the duty POL (Petrol Oil and Lubricants) Point to fill up as our SSM (Squadron Sergeant Major) had intimated that the duty would finish at 1600. As it happened, our own regiment was providing duty POL. As we finished refuelling, the VRC353 squawked and the controller at the RMP Pro Coy HQ in Sennelager asked in me in polite terms where I was. I told him. He told me to get our backsides back to his location now.

We were briefed that a young girl had gone missing from the Schloss Neuhaus NAAFI and we were going to be helping RMP. We returned to the Schloss area (there was actually a Schloss - castle - in the grounds) and started searching, grounds, cellars, wherever. There was a stream ...

We were eventually stood down and next day with the aid of a couple of mukkers, we started moving our kit from Paderborn to Elsen Heide. Early in the afternoon I was struck down with severe stomach pain (turned out to be gastritis) and rushed to the Krankenhaus under blues in Paderborn. (Didn't help there were whispers of an IRA bomb and even blues didn't clear the road. Wor Lass came to see me every day (not easy - she didn't drive) and I learned that tragically the young girl was the daughter of one of my squadron (Baz, wasn't he in your troop?).

The entire regiment helped the search effort. There was a regimental scuba diving club: they scoured every stream in the area. 20 years later there had still never been so much as a sniff of a sighting (20th anniversary saw it featured on Crimewatch in 2001). The consensus was that she had been taken and brought up as somebody else's child (there was a significant Gypsy population in West Germany. Fingers ... pointed ... maybe ...)

After about four days being starved in the Krankenhaus and fed the most awful bland food imaginable, I signed myself out. I was mortified at the scale of what I had missed, and because of the ensuing chaos few people outside my own troop had even missed me (though my mukkers had kindly moved my kit out of the old flat and into the MSQ for me).

Earlier in the year, a bunfight was organised in the Squadron bar up in the attic of the single accommodation. The theme was science fiction. One of the wags (jokers, not WAGs) blagged an RMP blue light and turned the door of the Squadron bar into a Tardis - very clever. (See how cunningly I finally brought the post back on topic?)

I had an orange rubber one-piece waterproof motorcycle jacket. I sprayed silver the green wellies I had bought for exercises in the wet but never worn, pulled on a pair of black neoprene NBC gloves (aka Marigolds ...) with cotton liners, astronaut helmet- shaped motorcycle helmet with a pair of polarised sunglasses as laser filters. It was generally agreed that had I not slipped away to see my fiancee at just the wrong moment I'd have walked the fancy dress competition.

Back to December and there was organised a Christmas Eve bunfight and curry (the meal at any bunfight was always a curry) in the Squadron bar. I made excuses because I was on stomach pills - a brand new cure-all panacea for stomach problems called Gaviscon and still rather delicate.

Between Christmas and New Year things were very quiet. It was too cold to work on the vehicles and risk dropping engine deck armour on frozen fingers, so the entire squadron gathered in the briefing room in the squadron office building. Eventually it got rather rowdy and the SSM pointed out that the side room off the Squadron bar landing had not been dug out and to go and do something useful.

We bimbled across the the single accommodation and about 50 of us piled in. There was a container with the remnants of the stew. Best part of a week after the event, I was surprised when I touched it and found it warm. It was opened. It was half full of curry ... fermenting and warming itself. At this point I backed away, popped a Gaviscon and allowed the rabble to dispose while my stomach churned.

All this from:

I will also see if my contact has removed any other goddies like blue lights etc.

I really must get a job that requires doing work ... or maybe not.

;o)

• 5 weeks later...

I have been asked by AndrewRoberts.1953 to pass a message onto anyone who was interested in the radio.

The guy selling the radios has now decided not to sell them onto anyone else. Andrew said he might know off another supplier and when he has details he will let us all know.