The MOT Question...

Am I the only one not being asked for this extra form when obtaining tax discs?

I have not been asked for the extra form, the computerised system doesn't seem to want it. The process is; go to the PO counter, hand over the renewal form and insurance, walk away with all the documents plus a tax disc and a receipt for a NIL transaction. I have had puzzled looks when I have gone to different post offices and the system hasn't wanted MOT or cash, but have never been asked for the form.

I suspect that the way something is registered has an effect on the system and in some cases, if the system wanted a MOT certificate for something claimed to be exempt a form would be needed instead of the MOT.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started out by asking on here if this extra form V112G was really necessary, and I am grateful to those who pointed out (and provided evidence) that it is indeed a requirement to present V112G with V11 renewal form if claiming test exemption.

But there does seem to be evidence that many Post Office counter staff are not aware of this.

I have tried to offer a plausible explanation for this anomoly, supported by my own experiences, which is that when they read through V11 to check what documents they must inspect, it doesn't actually state on V11 that V112G should be presented. I wish I hadn't bothered now :beatenup:

From now on I will be sure to take a completed V112G with me, on the off chance that I might be asked for it :goodidea:

Well I for one see a problem with the new V112G in somuch as some of use will be claiming exemption from MOT by virtue of our vehiccles being a locomotive or motor tractor. This means that the box to fill in on the front will be left blank, because, Locomotive or motor tarctor is not listed on the reverse.

I am sure once the P.O. staff get used to seeing a number written in the box, as soon as a V112G is presented with this area left blank, the trouble will start.

Surely the section on the front were exemption , by virtue of being a locomotive, ought to have a tick box to indicate that this is the reason for claiming exemption?

Edited by antarmike

• 4 weeks later...

What would the permanently fixed equipment be? :??? If you attach a display board then maybe (still a bit dodgy) but it would have to stay on while you were on the road.

I'd go for the MOT, you might get away with an exemption form but PC Plod won't be your friend if VOSA stop you...

Stone

hope you can give me some advice, road registering a mk 1/2 ferret d.i.s jan 1964 form vg112g would exemption no be 14 ?( for display), would be straight fwd if pre 1960. or would it be better to get a mot class7 ? any ideas much appreciated.

Bit of a difficulty as the Ferret is not a goods vehicle (designed or constructed to carry goods)

Therefore IMO it would have to be class 7 MOT

My best guess for a vehical definition for a Ferret would be a "Heavy Motor Car"

Under C&U Regs. it "is a mechanically propelled vehicle, not being a locomotive, motor tractor or motor car, which is constructed itself to carry a load or passengers, UW exeeds 2540kg."

As it is not a goods vehicle it should not be tested as class 7 so would probably be class 4.

It would be a fairly simple test on a Ferret anyway.

Heres a link to MOT manuals http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/internet/htdocs/index.htm

Don't rely on other peoples opinions (including garages) do the research yourself. The more you understand about what you are on about, the better.

The MOT exemption is for "Goods Vehicles" and the route you are thinking of the vehicle would need to be fitted with "equipment" that is fitted for a particular purpose that can be used in a "Display".

What is the unladen weight of a Ferret? Most garages that do a class 4 MOT can only take vehicles up to 3,500kgs as the lifts they use are rated for this weight. Any heavier then it would need to be tested at a commercial vehicle garage that has a lift that can handle the weight or at VOSA themselves.

My best guess for a vehical definition for a Ferret would be a "Heavy Motor Car"

Under C&U Regs. it "is a mechanically propelled vehicle, not being a locomotive, motor tractor or motor car, which is constructed itself to carry a load or passengers, UW exeeds 2540kg."

As it is not a goods vehicle it should not be tested as class 7 so would probably be class 4.

Heres a link to MOT manuals http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/internet/htdocs/index.htm

Don't rely on other peoples opinions (including garages) do the research yourself. The more you understand about what you are on about, the better.

Croc

Yes I forgot about that class, must be old age creeping up!!

The MOT exemption is for "Goods Vehicles" and the route you are thinking of the vehicle would need to be fitted with "equipment" that is fitted for a particular purpose that can be used in a "Display".

What is the unladen weight of a Ferret? Most garages that do a class 4 MOT can only take vehicles up to 3,500kgs as the lifts they use are rated for this weight. Any heavier then it would need to be tested at a commercial vehicle garage that has a lift that can handle the weight or at VOSA themselves.

I can't think of a suitable exemption, so assuming an MOT is needed you need to work out the test class. I would argue that the Ferret is a Heavy Motor Car and therefore class 4. I would refer to section A4.3 of the MOT Testing Guide on the weights of Motor Caravans and argue that it is the same situation with a Heavy Motor Car.

I don't believe that there is a requirement to put a vehicle on a ramp for MOT, as long as the underside can be examined. There is not alot to see under a Ferret anyway.

If you look at the contents page of the MOT Testing Manual and imagine the process of conducting a test, most things, lights tyres etc. are easily done.

Because of the drive train arangement a brake test could not be done on the rollers so would have to be done as a decelerometer test.

For wheel bearing checks a Ferret would have to be jacked up one side at a time instead of front then back, this could be done on the floor.

Due to the age of a Ferret the emissions test is a visual check.

If a Ferret has failable corrosion issues why are you trying to MOT a range wreck?

That is my opinion of how to MOT a Ferret. I suggest reading the regulations so that you know what to refer to when you speak to the tester. I would also talk through the process in advance of the test.

The MOT system, in principal, should be a standard and fair test. In reality it varies from centre to centre. I have heard that the high street chains have a 15% to 20% higher fail rate for exhausts, shock absorbers and tyres than the national average.... go figure.

I take my Ferret to the local bus depot which do the MOT as class 4 small. Most garage ramps only take a waight up to 3.5 tonns so you will need a garage with a pit. The only problem is the brake test for mine. I don't have a servo fitted, so several attemps are needed to get the 30 % on the footbrake and 25% with the handbrake.

I rang the local HGV testing station about the Stalwart - and was politely invited to go away, there was no way they could carry out an MOT on that type of vehicle - mainly due to the permanent 6 wheel drive but also because none of the testers would have the slightest idea what they were looking at... So I go through the V112G route every time I tax her.

Some time ago we had a Landrover LWB Safari and had to take that to a class 7 testing station as it was too heavy for the lifts at our usual place. This testing station opted to use a Tapley meter for the braking test - tester backed up to one end of the yard with a little Indian guy watching the meter from the passenger seat. He then shot down the yard and hit the brakes..... After they'd carried the Indian guy out knocked senseless we got our pass certificate - the idiot had not bothered to put his sea belt on and, when the Landie stopped, he did't and head-butted the steel bulkhead...... Oops.... :)

I took my Defender to a garage near to my old works years ago as the MOT ran out the same day I looked to see when it was due. They tested it and then wanted to know where the weight plate was. I asked why and was told it was a Class 7 test:shocked:

I said "No it's not, it's a Class 4". The garage weren't having any of it, so I called Land Rover and got them to explain to the garage that it's a Class 4. Still no joy. By this time the owner was getting VERY aggresive in his manner, so I just accepted the Class 7 test as I needed the MOT and probably wouldn't have got it if I kicked off. But I thought that they would get theirs soon enough. They issued the MOT as a Class 7 and charged me extra for the privilage. So on my return home, I wrote a detailed letter to the Vehicle Inspectorate (as it was then) complaining about the garage.

They wrote me a letter detailing exactly what the test requirment was and confirmed that it was a Class 4 MOT. They said they went round to the garage concerned and NEARLY took their MOT licence away from them for not knowing the test requirments and for wrongly testing other Land Rovers in the Class 7 category for the past several years. I pointed out to VOSA that the garage would be making a handsome profit from the extra money involved in charging for a Class 7 instead of a Class 4. The garage had to then contact all the other owners they wrongly tested and to refund the difference. Their guys also had to do re training. I got a cheque through the post, but no apology.

The moral of this story is, even though you take a vehicle to a garage to supposedly qualified MOT testers, it doesn't mean that they know what they are doing. You need to find out for yourself the facts and then if you encounter a problem you can back yourself up. In this day and age you need to know exactly what the rules are.

• 1 month later...

hi dan here , im a class 4 , 5 ,7 tester based in the tamworth area ov the midlands , and i have nearly been caught out with the whole landrover mot syndrome you do have to be carefull on the use of the vehicle , as landrovers can fall into both catorgries 4 and 7 and also the whole dual purpose catorgary is another can of worms , i just usually stick to the theory that class 7 mots are for goods carrying vehicles , and class 4 is for passenger carrying and you cant go far wrong at that but if i doubt you can always refer to the mot testing manual :-D

• 1 month later...
The Whole 'MoT Exemption' issue is very misleading, I have a 15cwt Morris C8 which I was led to believe was MoT Exempt until I went to tax it, only to be told at the post Office 'that no road going vehicle is mot exempt'!

You bring back fond memories of my dealings with the MOT inspection system while I waas posted to RAF Uxbridge. It could be a hassle, to be sure, but be thankful it's not worse.

Over here in "the colonies (USA)," we have 50 states, 4 territories, and the District of Columbia, all of which have their own inspection requirements which must be met before license plates are issued. In border areas, many people will actually live in one state and have their vehicles inspected/licensed in another. This is "only illegal if you get caught." Many are caught and fined heavily by their home state. Others get away with it for years.

Personally, I dare not try to cheat the excise man!

• 3 weeks later...
I think you have it a bit wrong with reference to the weight, if it is over 3500 Kg un ladened then you are entitled to this "no MOT" thing. It has nothing to do with a load, it is just the bare vehicle.

I do believe that you are correct when you state that its the vehicles unladen weight that qualifies it for exemption , that is 3.5tonnes and pre 1960, indeed you cannot carry a load if the vehicle is taxed M.o.T. exempt, again raising the issue of insurance should you be carrying a load............ double check things if in doubt, it could be very expensive, not just for you, but also for our hobby in general.:kissoncheek:

• 1 year later...

loggy driver talks a lot of sense there are lots of miltary vehs owners who no their vehs are not really tax tax excempted but people who say they are.its a dvla matter, the people who say the vehs mot excempt are taking a very serious risk if stopped by vosa veh they will have the veh held to the matter is sorted ie recovery,storage ,it will up to you to prove it is mot excempt you will not be able to use bob, said it was ok , i read it on the this forum i brought it like this my mates is it is up to you `to mot veh as your veh has to be kept to mot standards why chance it not all plod are stupid nor vosa some are owners of miltary vehs and read hmvf but cannot comment the people who break the rules normally no they are doing it but try to justfy it all i can say becare full out there or you will lose your pride and joy