The MOT Question...

hello richard,

that's as i had understood it, with the proviso that it was unladen, ie had no freight / not for work.

someone i know, who should know correctly, is convinced that an MOT is now required. "once it has had an MOT (as needed for number plate removal) it will always need an MOT".

from past experience of using form V112g (i operate as a showman - lots written on that about here, much seems incomplete) i've found that just because something had to be MOT'd once, did not mean that it remaimed so. but this friend is convinced, and it just puzzled me as i'll be buying something with non-original plates.

The way I have always understood it, and I having been doing it for 22 years with the same lorry, that every time the tax disc is up for renewal, you submit a V112G for the relevant catagory, in my case, pre-1960 and not used to carry goods, the form declares that fact, making it exempt from test for that year.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I have always understood it, and I having been doing it for 22 years with the same lorry, that every time the tax disc is up for renewal, you submit a V112G for the relevant catagory, in my case, pre-1960 and not used to carry goods, the form declares that fact, making it exempt from test for that year.

Well after 22 years a change had to happen didn't it

From the winter "Windscreen" DVLA news,

The V112G form was updated in April 2009. The main difference with the new form is if the vehicle is listed in schedule 2 (on the back of the V112G form) , the applicant is now required to indicate which exemption is applicable to this particular claim. This should assist Post Office staff when the exemption is being claimed. Although it is not a requirement, it might also be of assistance to the Post Office staff if you had your V5C with you when you claim your exemption. There is now a requirement for the claimant to retain the form. The new form can be downloaded from http://www.direct.gov.uk and search using V112G.

Edited by antarmike

Well after 22 years a change had to happen didn't it

Hardly a significant change, I used the new version of the form earlier this year, only a common sense change really, you enter the class number from reverse side in a box on the front, thats all. As for retaining, always have done, so that it can be produced if need be.

You all sure about this?

I used to have to submit a V112G with tax disc renewal forms where Goods Vehicle Test Certificate was requested but was not in fact required.

The last few years all I've needed to do is put a "X" in the box on the renewal form which states -

"If you do not need a Goods Vehicle Test Certificate (that is, your vehicle is exempt) put a X in this box and see section B over the page".

Last one I did was in September.

The bit 'over the page' does not require one to submit a form of any sort with the application (or - more accurately - does not ask for a form) . I took a form in on two separate occasions to two different Post Ofices and was told they were not required. And no copy of the renewal notice is taken, it is given back to you.

But of course if you declare no test required, you are likely to be liable for any consequences if that turns out not to be the case.

Edited by N.O.S.

You all sure about this?

Positive Tony. I am looking at a V11 Reminder now, on reverse side it states where you do not have to have Good Vehicle Test Certificate use form V112G.

They return the renewal notice to you after scanning the barcode and entering details on the computor

Edited by Richard Farrant

Positive Tony. I am looking at a V11 Reminder now, on reverse side it states where you do not have to have Good Vehicle Test Certificate use form V112G.

Yep says that on the 6th V11 I've recevied for the Pig:confused: despite doing the SORN online, recieving the email confirmation & phoning them to confirm it's been SORN they still keep sending them to me:confused: suppose I'll just wait for the fine now:n00b:

Confirmation of Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN)

Thank you for using DVLA Vehicle Licensing Online (www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk).

Your SORN declaration has been successful.

Reference Number: *** *** *** ***

Vehicle Registration Mark: MSJ449

Application made on: 15/11/2009 23:45:22

SORN Period: 12 months

Edited by Marmite!!

Maybe it would be good to actually get in touch with VOSA and clarify the situation. Anyone thought of this, with regard to particular vehicles? I feel an article in the offing...

VOSA or DVLA won't commit themselves.. that's why you have to declare exemption, put's it all on your shoulders, think this has been covered many times on here..

Here you go - wording on back of V11 (sent September 09):

B What documents do you need?

A valid MoT or Goods Vehicle Test Certificate - the certificate must be valid on the date the tax disc starts. Some vehicles do not have to have an MoT or Goods Vehicle Test Certificate. (See form V112 'Claim for Exemption from MoT Testing' or form V112G 'Goods Vehicle Testing - Declaration of Exemption'. You can download.....also get them from Post Office......

I can't see where it states on form V11 that either V112 or V112G forms should accompany the tax disc renewal appliation V11 :???

Of course it may well be that these V112 / V112G forms now state that you have to submit them with V11 (must confess I haven't looked recently) but I can confirm that not all Post Office operatives were aware of this as of 2nd October :)

hello richard,

that's as i had understood it, with the proviso that it was unladen, ie had no freight / not for work.

someone i know, who should know correctly, is convinced that an MOT is now required. "once it has had an MOT (as needed for number plate removal) it will always need an MOT".

from past experience of using form V112g (i operate as a showman - lots written on that about here, much seems incomplete) i've found that just because something had to be MOT'd once, did not mean that it remaimed so. but this friend is convinced, and it just puzzled me as i'll be buying something with non-original plates.

thanks for your time,

sam

I think you will find your friend is incorrect. A truck that is used in a professional capacity will need to be tested once a year. You will also, as a driver, be subject to the drivers hours, WTD, tachograph and HGV licence rules. Once the truck is no longer used in a professional capacity it will need to be re-registered as a Private Heavy Goods Vehicle, so that it can't be used for commercial gain. Providing it meets one of the exemptions on the V112G you would be free to declare it MOT exempt. It is down to the driver of the vehicle to decide if it meets the exemption.

Thanks Lee.

It certainly states that one of the forms must be submitted with each application for a tax disc. Which is probably why I did try (on two occasions) before giving up as the counter staff said theyt didn't want to see the form.

So it looks as if we should cover ourselves by filling out a form and keeping it on file, even if the issuing Post Office might not want to see it.

After all, it doesn't specify on the application form V11 that one of these forms is required. Anyone care to volunteer to notify DVLA / Post Office about this anomoly? :n00b:

I think you will find your friend is incorrect. A truck that is used in a professional capacity will need to be tested once a year. You will also, as a driver, be subject to the drivers hours, WTD, tachograph and HGV licence rules. Once the truck is no longer used in a professional capacity it will need to be re-registered as a Private Heavy Goods Vehicle, so that it can't be used for commercial gain. Providing it meets one of the exemptions on the V112G you would be free to declare it MOT exempt. It is down to the driver of the vehicle to decide if it meets the exemption.

I'll second that. It is worth noting that if a load is carried when operating under Private HGV tax even if only for own private use (i.e. not for hire or reward), a Goods Vehicle Test is required.

Thanks Lee.

After all, it doesn't specify on the application form V11 that one of these forms is required. Anyone care to volunteer to notify DVLA / Post Office about this anomoly? :n00b:

Does on the one I received yesterday.. box on the front to tick

If you do not require a good test certificate (that is your vehicle is 'exempt') put a X in this box and see section B over the page

Section B says you need a V112G

Here you go - wording on back of V11 (sent September 09):

B What documents do you need?

A valid MoT or Goods Vehicle Test Certificate - the certificate must be valid on the date the tax disc starts. Some vehicles do not have to have an MoT or Goods Vehicle Test Certificate. (See form V112 'Claim for Exemption from MoT Testing' or form V112G 'Goods Vehicle Testing - Declaration of Exemption'. You can download.....also get them from Post Office......

I can't see where it states on form V11 that either V112 or V112G forms should accompany the tax disc renewal appliation V11 :???

Of course it may well be that these V112 / V112G forms now state that you have to submit them with V11 (must confess I haven't looked recently) but I can confirm that not all Post Office operatives were aware of this as of 2nd October :)

You DEFINITELY (V112G) need to submit this along with your application. If you don't then they should be asking you for an MOT certificate. You put a X in the box on the front and hand in a completed V112G with the application, together with your insurance, then job done.

The "new" form is not a problem. It asks the owner to state under which exemption you are claiming. For example, if you are claiming under section 30 of schedule 2 then you are claiming as follows;

Motor vehicles first used before 1st January 1960, used unladen and not drawing a laden trailer, and trailers manufactured before 1st January 1960 and used unladen.

For the purposes of this paragraph any determination as to when a motor vehicle is first used shall be made as provided in regulation 3(3) of the Construction and Use Regulations.

As you have claimed exemption under section 30 of schedule 2 you are stating that you are driving a vehicle that was "USED" before Jan 1960 and that it is unladen and not drawing a laden trailer. This will be on their records. Then if you was to get stopped by the Police or VOSA on your way to a show (I'd be a lot more worried if VOSA stops you) driving a pre 1960's truck that you have declared exempt and you have a load of stuff in the back that you were going to sell (say War and Peace) and also towing a trailer with another vehicle on, then be prepared to see the crap hit the fan. These items will be described as "goods" and it would certainly breach the definition "unladen"

Edited by LoggyDriver

Aha, so maybe the form has only just been changed?

Lee, can you confirm the wording in Section B requiring a V112G please?

As written on back section B

B What Documents Do You Need?

A valid MOT or Goods Vehicle Certificate

the certificate must be valid on the date the tax disk starts. some vehicles do not have an MoT or Goods Vehicle Test Certificate. (See form V112 'Claim for exemption from MoT Testing' or from V112g 'Goods Vehicle Testing-'Declaration of exemption'. You can download theses forms blah blah blah..

Edited by Marmite!!

You DEFINITELY (V112G) need to submit this along with your application. If you don't then they should be asking you for an MOT certificate. You put a X in the box on the front and hand in a completed V112G with the application, together with your insurance, then job done.

I hear you, but the point I've been trying to make is that I cannot find anyone in the three post offices I use for tax discs who is remotely interested in looking at any form other than the V11 once they see that the exemption box has a 'X' in it.

I now understand that, according to DVLA, a V112 or V112G should be submitted. I'd be really happy to oblige if only they'd let me!! I'll try again in February :)

Am I the only one not being asked for this extra form when obtaining tax discs?

I hear you, but the point I've been trying to make is that I cannot find anyone in the three post offices I use for tax discs who is remotely interested in looking at any form other than the V11 once they see that the exemption box has a 'X' in it.

I now understand that, according to DVLA, a V112 or V112G should be submitted. I'd be really happy to oblige if only they'd let me!! I'll try again in February :)

Am I the only one not being asked for this extra form when obtaining tax discs?

If I was you I'd contact the DVLA and tell them what's happened. They are supposed to take the form off you unless what they do is enter the fact you produced it onto the computer? If they haven't taken it then there is no record of you making the exemption??

They are supposed to take the form off you unless what they do is enter the fact you produced it onto the computer? If they haven't taken it then there is no record of you making the exemption??

They must return it to you, they are not allowed to keep it.

Once this Declaration has been used to tax the vehicle, it should be kept by the applicant. It must not be sent to any other Government Agency.

So it looks as if the V11 renewal form hasn't been changed. It does not state that an additional form is required, it only refers you to another form (V112/V112G).

This might possibly explain why, when the post office staff I've dealt with read this application form and cannot see any requirement to submit a V112 or V112G - only 'X' the box - they are not interested in looking at one even if you insist on showing them the form!

So it looks as if the V11 renewal form hasn't been changed. It does not state that an additional form is required, it only refers you to another form (V112/V112G).

!

It does, it says

B What Documents Do You Need?

It then points you to the V112G if you don't require an MOT, self explanatory really.. you need to print one of or get one from the post office, if you read the V112G it's then clear you need it to get the tax disk

This might possibly explain why, when the post office staff I've dealt with read this application form and cannot see any requirement to submit a V112 or V112G - only 'X' the box - they are not interested in looking at one even if you insist on showing them the form!

They need to look at it so they can enter the number of the exemption on the computer.

You can now tax online without an MoT too, you click 'I do not have a valid MoT Certificate' in the next section it brings up an V112G exemption page for you to make a declaration..

Edited by Marmite!!

They are supposed to take the form off you unless what they do is enter the fact you produced it onto the computer? If they haven't taken it then there is no record of you making the exemption??

I have had this discussion with my local PO staff, there is only one woman who has ever wanted to see it and she just looks at it and hands it back, she says they have no facility or system for keeping them.

I have taxed my Scammell historic MOT exempt since the class was introduced, I was only asked for this form for the first time by this woman, September 07, before that I just ticked the box.

My PO does not hold the form in stock.

Edited by gritineye

I have had this discussion with my local PO staff, there is only one woman who has ever wanted to see it and she just looks at it and hands it back, she says they have no facility or system for keeping them.

That's because they can't...

Once this Declaration has been used to tax the vehicle, it should be kept by the applicant. It must not be sent to any other Government Agency.