Vehicle markings....

Jack

No. Not till you tell me if they had a HQ company. This will affect the order of march as we discussed. My info is unclear on this point, so at best it would be something of a guess.

See if they have an association that may be able to help with the detail. They may hold combat reports and or other daily returns, that may give much valuable info. Will need a bit of work though.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jack,

I would think the 56th probably published their own unit history at the end of the war,could even have been printed in Germany,many histories were.try finding one,ebay is a good bet but expect to pay $$$$ for it.

Matt.

OK,

Here goes........

Have a look here http://www.pbase.com/rhssr/image/11488741

Now on another picture I can make out the left hand bumper marking as V 56S and on this picture the right hand bumper (and I am guessing here) is saying WO or HQ(?) 13

V 56S WO/HQ 13

Could someone put that into English for me :?

Cheers.

jack.

Well I'm really not sure what the question is here!

If that truck is from "A" Detatchment 56th Signals Battalion as Jack wants to portry, the bumper markings dont make sense.

Have you changed your mind Jack? and wish now to portray something else of the 56th?

Matt did you notice the can holders mounted on the rear mud flaps?

I did notice the brackets,another pic that proves they are a WW2 mod.

I still say Jack needs to find a copy of the unit history.

Matt.

Matt he may want to, especially as I've now got good reason to believe that none of the trucks in "A" or "B" Detatchments were GMC's.

"A" detatchment was a Wire Construction unit supporting the 1st Inf, so we're talking 1.1/2 ton Chevy's and maybe Dodges. Isn't life cruel!

Right, now gone off you two :twisted:

Colin, they did indeed have GMC's, Dodges, jeeps not so sure about Chevys. The pain in thebackside bit is that I have a book that has records and details of the guys who stayed at Dewlish but I lent iit to my brother in law some years back and now he can't find it :twisted:

I am going to mark it up as above and if I have to change it later then so be it but for now it gets me sorted.

Matt, with regards to the jerry can holder, I have pictures here of the V Corps of the 1st Army loading for D Day down here in Dorset and on their mudguards that have the configuration that Colin has on his front bumper but bolted to the mud guards.

Jack I'm trying to stay very focused, as YOU wanted to get it right!

56th Sigs Bat "A" detachment, came from Company "A". From their declassified D-Day Mission statement they were assigned as a Wire Construction crew to the Big Red One, and this is not consistent with a 2.1/2 ton truck.

OTHER units and companies of the 56th had Jimmys, no question. But at the moment I can not place a Jimmy in Company A, "A" Detachment or "B" Detachment, which would be REQUIRED to place them at Dewlish.

5th Corps, 56ths S, HQ vehicles (2.1/2 tons) were not stationed at Dewlish, and were some hundred or so miles away in Bristol.

But of course they MAY have visited.