Vehicle markings....

Jack

Decided to make this a sticky as it is such a huge subject and would be a great resource for members wanting to understand and mark sense of all of those markings and symbols.

Some questions regarding markings/stencils;

1. Did all vehicles have standard markings.

2. I have seen some with markings on the petrol tank, bonnet and loads more without, is this a personal preference?

3. Again, I have seen on the tail gate 'left hand drive, no hand signals' but not on many vehicles.

4. What do the numbers mean that run on both sides of the bonnet.

5. What are the numbers on the bumper?

6. I have also seen people 'name' their vehicles, was this practiced during the WW2.....

7. How were British vehicles marked.

8 .Do we still mark our modern vehicles in the same manner.

9. What do the yellow disk mean on the front of vehicles.....

Jack.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a little.

4 - Bonnet/hood numbers are usually the vehicle registration number. The first one or two digits refer to the type of vehicle ( ie. 2 = light duty 1/2 to 1 ton, 40 = full and half track vehicles except tanks ) An 'S' after the number indicated the vehicle electrics were suppressed to allow the use of radios. Source - Allied Liberation Vehicles, by Francois Bertin

5 - Bumber markings are generally the Group/Unit that the vehicle belongs to. My jeep, belongs to 8th Air Force, 100th Bomb Group, 351st Bomb Squadron, vehicle 17

7.JPG

6 - Some vehicles and aircraft were named during the war. It depended upon the unit commander, and nature of the art/name. Later in the war, there was more censorship of naming following a B-17 Fortress named "Murder Inc", which force landed and the crew captured. Some of the crew had this name painted on their jackets and the Germans made propaganda out of it claiming it to be official US Air Force policy to murder.

Hope this helps a bit.

Steve

Well vehicles do have standard markings. But they where not

done like it should be by the GIs.

On the hood or bonnet is has the regristrationnumbers (not serial) and USA, all late trucks or Jeeps probaply around 1943 where radiosurpressed

and therefore the got a S on the hood.

For invasions jeeps and trucks got measurment sizes and weight painted at some places, where space was available.

In the cab they painted the tirepressure amount sometimes or maximum

speed.

On the hood they painted for preparation of the winter, antifreeze, winterezed or prestone whene the vehicles was prepared for the winterseason.

And you have the nicknames, sometimes called after the company or batalion, whatever it could be anything.

Corné

Hey Jack I thought I answered most of these questions on the CCKW site,

A lot if not all vehicles had their unit markings deleted for the D-Day landings as a security measure and because it was believed that Rommel was going to use captured vehicles to infiltrate behind Allied lines, this actually happened later at the start of what became known as the Battle of the Bulge.

Hey Jack I thought I answered most of these questions on the CCKW site,

A lot if not all vehicles had their unit markings deleted for the D-Day landings as a security measure and because it was believed that Rommel was going to use captured vehicles to infiltrate behind Allied lines, this actually happened later at the start of what became known as the Battle of the Bulge.

Hi Degsy.

Yes you did :wink: ................just thought that it is a subject that a lot of people would be interested in.

Plus the fact that I wanted to give you something to do :shock:

Best wishes.

Jack.

Stars and Bumper numbers of vehicles

This page contains information from TM9-850 which deals with lettering and identification of WW2 vehicles. I have included information that would be important to the Chevy, CCKW, and DUKW and their trailers.

Click on pages to open in new browser window and then click on page again to enlarge

it is with many thanks to Bill over on http://www.cckw.org for his permission to reproduce this information here for the benifit of all of us, thanks Bill :wink:

1.tm9-850_small1.jpg2.tm9-850_2_small.jpg3.tm9-850_3_small.jpg

4.tm9-850_4_small.JPG5.tm9-850_5_small.JPG6.tm9-850_6_small.JPG

7.tm9-850_7_small.JPG8.tm9-850_8_small.JPG

9.tm9-850_15closed_small.JPG10.tm9-850_15open_small.JPG

11.tm9-850_25tankclosed_small.JPG12.tm9-850_25tankopen_small.JPG

13.tm9-850_cckwclosed_small.JPG14.tm9-850_cckwopen_small.JPG

15.tm9-850_1tontrailer_small.JPG16.tm9-850_dukw_small.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Right.

Where do I get paint from........for my GMC? 8)

Told you before, take a sample of the colour you like to your local automotive paint supplier & they will match it for you.

C'mon, wake up at the back :D

Thanks Tim.

......the problem is, I have 7 different colours on there :oops: :cry:

So if I took a piece of my GMC down to B&Q...they could macth the paint......and the paint would be good enough to use on an MV?

Personally I don't think their scanners are good enough, the last time I tried to get some paint matched in Homebase they got a completely different colour let alone shade. If you want to try them, make sure you get oil based paint. You would be better off going to a proper paint factor though they have better equipment. I don't mind if you want to send me a sample getting it matched by the firm I use & bringing it down. :D

Tim.

The piant on the GMC is pointing towards the deep green (gloss?) colour.......do Dallas supply this?

Not sure, but from their website it doesn't look like it. You would have to ring them to check. http://www.dallasautoparts.com/paint.htm

As I say i'm quite happy to get it matched for you, they would do it in gloss or matt whatever you want.