Mystery Object No.62

fv1609

there is a difference between the sign on the trailer and that on the truck ? is that part of it? Should there be additional markings like a red painted area on the trucks fenders denoting EOD?

Gosh you get up early/stay up late!

The trailer is associated with a Rover which is out of sight on the right. The position of the markings is correct & the Rover does have its fair share of red bits. There are 3 faults remaining.

Licence plate is different on the trailer to the truck. 14 RN as opposed to 18RN.

Tim (too)

The trailer is associated with the Rover out of sight. But you are on the ball with trailer/prime mover. Unlike the Army that makes a trailer have its own identity, these RN EOD trailers, like civvy trailers, carry the VRN of their parent vehicle. So the registrations are all correct.

Bit odd that its marked Royal Navy Bomb disposal, the Navy usually deal with waterborne stuff.

Yes I find it very difficult to untangle who does what with EOD units comprising, RLC, RE, RAF & RN.

This unit comprised the white wheelbarrow vehicle & two Rovers (each with dinghy) & their matched trailers. I saw them at Portsmouth 10 years ago & asked the question. Their patch was Weymouth to Brighton in the sea & so many miles inland. RAF seem to be airbases & so many miles around.

I asked the same question of a RLC unit in the summer & I think they do the rest of the country not covered by RAF & RN, to include IEDs & small ordnance & it seems RE do big ordnance & wartime stuff.

I was lucky to get the pics that I did as they all suddenly disappeared on a shout.

Clive,

LELYAND looks like someone has been "at" this photo ;-) , also, the blue / white lamp on the top of the nearside mirror arm is rather odd.

Despite the fact that you ought to be at work now ;-), very observant today. Yes there has been a bit of tampering going on!

Yes of course you are right it is a LEYLAND not a LELYAND!

The odd blue lamp is ok it is just sticking in from the Rover on the right.

and also, it is a 45 series DAF, the photo has been altered to 54 :-)

Richard

Yes well spotted that man, so just one more 'error' to spot, will it be you Richard to guess em all? Your reputation is in the balance ;-)

OK one more stab at this, I may be wrong, but I think it could be that the vehicle bears the wrong reg. number plate, ie, photo altered. These vehicles, from memory of those that were stationed at the Workshop, would have all borne Army numbers and either in the last of the K series or the new type number, eg. AB 01 CD.

Probably way off track :?

Richard

OK one more stab at this, I may be wrong, but I think it could be that the vehicle bears the wrong reg. number plate, ie, photo altered. These vehicles, from memory of those that were stationed at the Workshop, would have all borne Army numbers and either in the last of the K series or the new type number, eg. AB 01 CD.

Probably way off track :?

Richard

It isn't the answer Richard, but you raise a valid point. The VRNs shown are correct. But like you I felt that the Army assumed the role of Joint Service responsibility for MT in the 1970s. But over the years I have seen countless newly comissioned RN vehicles, not with an Army VRN, but a recycled RN VRN. The RM seem to conform but RN don't!

For the final error, you do need very good eyesight but it is legible.

Missing an 'n' in 'Ordnance'...

Yes well done, you have good eyesight. Thats it then, those are all the errors as a result of me tinkering, any other speeling mistacks or inappropriate use of paint are original.

Here is the original, you will see I had to move the trailer to get it within eyesight on that image size.

width=640 height=438http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/fv1620/RNEOD.jpg[/img]