A SAD ENDING? WW1 Memorial Stone

well at the minute ive found he took part in the amiens offensive and the closest ive got is queant which is 4.9 miles from the cemetary but if you can get the trench map 57c nw4 then will be able to pinpoint exactly where the 15th brigade were

Unbelievable! This will help for visit to museum today, though at this rate by the time I report back you will already have got there!

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, there is a slight complcation which I have not yet mentioned -

Along with the memorial stone in the same lot came a very simple little gravestone, to TOOTIE, who died aged 16 in 1915.

Now this could be the family dog, could have been the faithful companion of our soldier, could be totally unconnected.

Should they be kept together? Oh well, how do we resolve this one? (tootie - vehicle horn - HMVF? - I'm not making this up, honest!)

If this involves delving into family history and stuff, it is probably not appropriate to make it public on the forum site, so there is a need for us to be sensitive here.

This is an astonishing link provided by Rick - don't know if it is repeated across the country, but (and unfortunately the Thetford names are amongst the very few yet to be transcribed :-( ) people have gone to the trouble to provide full service and death details for all names on each war memorial.

Right, I have got a copy of his medal card from the National Archive. Anyone can access these, for our man I typed in his regimental number 29535 and found his card. They charge a one off fee of £3.50 for letting you have a PDF copy. Ive been trying to work out for the past hour how to upload a copy of it onto here for all to see, but cant suss it out, if anyone can help on that score let me know! The initials of his name are for Bernard Ivor Jackson and he received the standard 2 war medals which were issued after the war. There is some scrawly writing on the right hand side of the card which i have been trying to decipher. See below for rough translation!

BWWM pets for adt CRV

11 51/8.u.12.21

Co and iv605/0 11/2/22 6013/adt

E/647378/3

6013/adt

the link for 15th brigade comes from

http://www.warpath.orbat.com/divs/5_div.htm#15_bde

where it shows the 1st norfolk was at the second battle of bapaume during the time he lost his life and bapaume is less than 5 miles from beugny

probably the front line was at beugny on the 2nd sept if anyone has a trench map 57c nw4 we could confirm this

Aha, just what Ive been checking, seeing what records are online for the parish.

http://www.genealogy.doun.org/transcriptions/surnames.php

Its fairly heavy stuff, but do a search for the Jackson name. The Jackson family seem to have a fairly large prescence in the parish up to the end of what I can see in about 1901. There are 3 other Jacksons on a war memorial,I assume must be in the village. Edward Jackson, Arthur Jackson, and R.C.Jackson killed in WW1. More than likely related to our man, if not his brothers even.

There is a GH Jackson on the same memorial KIA in WW2. Was this the last of the line?

The Jackson family seem to have a fairly large prescence in the parish up to the end of what I can see in about 1901. There are 3 other Jacksons on a war memorial,I assume must be in the village.

You guys, I thought you might beat me to it!!

I called in at New Buckenham on way home, according to the village shopkeeper the only memorial is a plaque on the church wall listing those from parish who died 1914-18, I checked and no Jacksons :dunno:

The visit to the Regimental Museum in Norwich was most productive. Thanks to a very kind curator, who made time for us, we now have the following information (though some is now merely confirmation of your efforts!):

Jackson, Bernard Ivo Pte 29539

Born New Buckenham, enrolled Thetford

1st Battalion, Norfolk Regiment

His name does appear on the War Memorial in Thetford Market Place.

His record shows him as being wounded 27 Feb 1917, sick 2nd West General Hospital Manchester 14 Mar 1917, and killed in action 02 Sep 1918.

I managed to come away with copies of some fascinating documents, namely -

1) Orders for Raid by B Co. north of the Ferme du Bois, on night of 26/27th Feb 1917, in which our man was wounded - it was a raiding party on enemy position - highly detailed, very small print covering one side of foolscap!

2) War Diary for above Raid

3) War Diary for attack on Beugny 02 Sep 1918, in which objetive was gained but resulted in the death of Private Jackson.

Interestingly his name is incorrectly shown in the casualty book as B J Jackson!

I will try to get these transcribed onto here by end of night - please bear with me, as I have to fit this around other duties this evening. I'll do 3) first.

The one thing we do not have as yet is the TRENCH MAP. Our curator will search at her first opportunity - probably mid next week - but she advised that trench maps are not common in the Regiment archive at Norwich. She thinks there would be a better chance of locating a copy at the National Archive in London.

Just had a call from auctioneer - the vendor had been asked to clear out the long - closed yard of a builder and undertaker at Attleborough - name of Edwards. The family has apparently died out. So the memorial stone could have come from anywhere as part of a building job.

The relief here is that "Tootie" quite probably has no connecion with our man, other than sharing yard space for some time!

Only option now for his family being Parish records?

Spot on mate spot on :-D If you decide to take the stone back would you consider some of us accompanying you?

First thing is - WE need to decide what to do with it.

There's no rush, it would take some time to establish a possible resting place for it in colaboration with les Francais.

Then how to get it there? You guys seem to do a few trips, so it might be feasible to tie it in with something else during the year? In which case perhaps I could accompany you? :-)

Here is the extract from 1st Battalion Norfolk Regiment War Diary covering the attack on Beugny 02 Sep 1918 in which our soldier died. The entry in bold must be where he fell.

Place: Favreuil Area

Date/Hour

Battalion reorganised and rested.

8pm

Battalion moved to assembly positions, South of railway, between FREMICOURT & BEUGNY prior to attack on BEUGNY village and objective East of village. Shelling light, casualties nil.

5.15am

Battalion attacked - objective gained, casualties slight.

11am

Shelling increased. Lieut.E.O.R. BURRY wounded.

1.0pm

Enemy doubled back and penetrated line between the Battalion and the NEW ZEALANDERS on the right thereby forcing our two forward companies to withdraw slightly. Shelling and machine gun fire very intensive. Casualties heavy. 2Lt.J.G. Molloy killed.

4.0pm

New line established with the assistance of two companies of the BEDFORDS and held throughout the night.

5.15am

Brigade again attacked, two companies of the Battalion following up about 500yds behind the attacking line to assist with consolidation and mopping up. Casualties nil.

10.0am

Battalion then followed up the attack as far as DELSAUX FARM South of Beugny village.

1.0pm

Battalion moved forward again as far as Western edge of LEBUCQUIERE village and halted.

8.0pm

Battalion withdrew to Billets West of LEBUCQUIERE village for the night.

Maj. G.deGREY, DSO, rejoined (???) personnel at SOUASTRE.

well just being able to help one soldiers memorial find a rightfull place is enougth for me

i hope that whever it is placed in france or where he was born the memorial for one soldier would stand for all soldiers who died

on 11th nov i will be over the water at a remberance service so will place a small cross for our soldier and also for all soldiers who have died

well just being able to help one soldiers memorial find a rightfull place is enougth for me

i hope that whever it is placed in france or where he was born the memorial for one soldier would stand for all soldiers who died

on 11th nov i will be over the water at a remberance service so will place a small cross for our soldier and also for all soldiers who have died

Nicely Put, David.

See you next Tuesday.