Make-shift Tents - Red Ball Express

N.O.S.

In Pat Ware's book RED BALL EXPRESS there is a wonderful photo of some temporary bivuac accomodation for Red Ball drivers -

Rows of 'grounded' GMC truck canopies (timber seat/side rails, hoops and canvas).

Perhaps the reviewer of this book might be brave enough to put the picture on here :dunno: Would make a good alternative for show accomodation?

(for vertically challenged people)

In Pat Ware's book RED BALL EXPRESS there is a wonderful photo of some temporary bivuac accomodation for Red Ball drivers -

Rows of 'grounded' GMC truck canopies (timber seat/side rails, hoops and canvas).

Perhaps the reviewer of this book might be brave enough to put the picture on here :dunno: Would make a good alternative for show accomodation?

(for vertically challenged people)

I will ask as I am sure it will be up for copywrite..... :dunno:

Interestingly enough - I am sure we are going to see this and many other things from this book appear at next years shows........ :dunno: :?

No, I'M BEING THICK!

I thought I could see slats inside, but now I can't but I can now see a guide rope at each end holding the hoops and canvas straight :oops: The priniple is still there though...

So what are the best that we will be seeing this at this shows next year.........

Hi all,

slightlyoff topic here.... my first job working on a funfair (Jennings of Devizes) for .50p a day including meals ( a can of light ale and a hot dog for lunch....the same for supper !)

If it was raining you could sleep in the truck cab, an old Scammel but when the weather was fine you slept under it.... no need to worry about the oil leaks for you were allowed a shower every sunday evening :-D :-D

Ashley

Yeah, isn't it easier to leave them ON the truck and just kip in the back? Maybe thats just a PW thing.....

Recycling is nothing new, most,if not all of the trucks on the Red Ball ran without canvas, so, a WW2 'travel lodge' for the worn out truckers. As usual

history teaches the PW boys nothing. :rtfm: :-D

Ha Ha

My father tells a tale of hitching a lift outside Cambridge one pitch black night in '44. A convoy of GMCs rolled past, the very last truck pulled up and the negro co-driver said "hop in the back".

He climbed over the tailboard and was thrown around onto something hard as the truck sped off. He struck a match to see what he was sitting on. It was a load of bombs.:shake: