tank sale finland

50 cal ( † RIP † )

as a cromwell i would like it to be ready for A&E but whether it will be or not i couldn't say but as a charioteer it might be moving before this xmas as it seems to be very complete. my original plan was to take the turret ring and turret from the centaur and put it on the charioteer but the mantlet is a 6 pdr and this isn't right for the f type hull, the ideal solution would be to find a 95mm turret and ring, chuck that on the mk 6 and restore the centaur as a 6 pdr so i would have 2 cromwells but this might be a little ambitious even for me, to be honest i haven't had time to digest it all yet so the jury is still out.

centaur pics

eddy

tanks 008.jpg

tanks 007.jpg

tanks 010.jpg

Edited by eddy8men

They both look excellent Eddy.

Trouble is you will need another Cromwell / Centaur to source all the missing and damaged parts for the Centaur. How much remains in the engine compartment on the Centaur? From what I remember about Centaurs they had the early cooling system (that went with the Liberty V12) and were without the later mods that brought the Cromwell up to a fit for purpose vehicle. However I imagine the improvements came in fits and starts, so you could find anything.

I'd be interested to see what upper hull mods you're going to have to undertake when returning the turret ring back to wartime spec.

Did any Cromwell 95mm go to Normandy? I know in th early days some 95mm Centaurs went ashore....

as a cromwell i would like it to be ready for A&E but whether it will be or not i couldn't say but as a charioteer it might be moving before this xmas as it seems to be very complete. my original plan was to take the turret ring and turret from the centaur and put it on the charioteer but the mantlet is a 6 pdr and this isn't right for the f type hull, the ideal solution would be to find a 95mm turret and ring, chuck that on the mk 6 and restore the centaur as a 6 pdr so i would have 2 cromwells but this might be a little ambitious even for me, to be honest i haven't had time to digest it all yet so the jury is still out.

centaur pics

eddy

A couple of points Eddy. The Centaur turret is actually a late one with the front plate typically seen with the 75mm. The mantlet is the standard 6 pd/75mm, they are the same. It does have the Spirolock for elevation though so probably had a 6 pr fitted. It is the correct turret for the F type hull but not for a Cromwell VI.

I have never seen a 95mm turret available but we had worked out how to modify that turret and mantlet to suit and how to make a 95mm gun to go with it.

The turret ring is the same in all cases though there is an early and late style, you have the latter.

Edited by Adrian Barrell

They both look excellent Eddy.

Trouble is you will need another Cromwell / Centaur to source all the missing and damaged parts for the Centaur. How much remains in the engine compartment on the Centaur? From what I remember about Centaurs they had the early cooling system (that went with the Liberty V12) and were without the later mods that brought the Cromwell up to a fit for purpose vehicle. However I imagine the improvements came in fits and starts, so you could find anything.

I'd be interested to see what upper hull mods you're going to have to undertake when returning the turret ring back to wartime spec.

Did any Cromwell 95mm go to Normandy? I know in th early days some 95mm Centaurs went ashore....

Centaur used shaft driven fans as opposed to the belt driven fans in Cromwell. The fans themselves and the rads are the same but the drives are totally different and not interchangeable.

You basically have to change all the roof plates.

Yes, there was one per HQ troop in each squadron. So always few in number but they survived into post-war use as Comet did not replace them.

gosh I have some admiration for you guys. to me they are total wrecks but to you they are an opportunity...it is truly remarkable what you will take on...well done, it proves that their is life in any old dog no matter its condition...

thanks adrian

that's gtreat news, i was hoping you might chip in and give me a push in the right direction but i didn't want to bother you with questions early on as i was planning on taxing your brain later when the real work/problems start. so it's back to plan A then. fit the centaur turret and ring onto the mk6 and model it as a gun tank ideally with the 75mm gun but beggars can't be choosers so a 6 pdr would do, as for the centaur i think a static display restoration ie fill the holes and paint it green would be best but again we'll see just how bad it is once the spannering starts.

thanks again adrian

eddy