Military Vehicles, whats yours like to drive!

da bomb

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

series two's were good at that, as well;............normally from behind the central instrument panel.......... :whistle:

Well 2 1/2 hours a gallon of tea, a fantastic £20 invested in a ratchet crimmper when the old B*** started her tricks, and she is through the MOT for another year. :-D

GMC 352, had for 10 years or so, 5 speed crash box double declutching up and down dont need first to pull away, 5th is overdrive. No power steering but once you get it rolling there is no need for it. Good on the flat 40-45 all the time but any hill and well slow, must be the slowest up hill even been over taken by a 353 air portable up hill :dunno: suspect timing ( blue exhaust manifold nearly ) :schocked: Very good brakes if the servo works.

Can get the back 8 wheels to step out on rainy wet road if you make heavy braking LOL, when you stop at the lights sideways !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that ive had my MK1 Humber Pig for a little while, i can give the following verdict..

The B60 starts easy enough and is reasonably quiet, considering you are in a large metal box! the worry about been cold soon disappears, plenty of warm air finds it way into the cab.

The 5 speed box starts off a bit stiff but soon gets easier once warm 2nd,3,4 and 5th gear used in the standard H pattern with 1st pushing the 4wd select lever when engaged for offroad/heavy driving.

Performance is reasonable, given the extra armour put onto the original GS truck, (N.I. Mk2's have alot more armour!)and the ride is very comfortable, even on rough ground, body roll is noticeable if cornering at speed, but is not unnerving. Steering when stationary is heavy as you would expect, but lightens up when moving, not much return assistance so passing the wheel through your hands in learner driver/Bentley racer style helps.

Visibility could be better, the side hatches been small and high up, although not a problem if you have a "Commander" sat next to you on the slightly higher canvas chair, opening all of the rear hatches gives you a bit more visibility and opening the roof hatches lets in plenty of light, and gives your "Commander" something to look out of at awkward junctions/pose etc.

Although i presently have a brake problem, when working they certainly seem to do the job and the handbrake is cable operated to all four wheels.

To work on, they are quite straight forward, plenty of engine access via the engine lid, with extra engine access gained by removing the plates on the side of the engine bay. Access from underneath is easy, due to the clearance height, and you have a bonus of the floor plates are easy to unbolt, giving access to gearbox, propshafts, rear axle and winch (If fitted).

Size wise Pigs initially look pretty big, but they are not much bigger than a large 4x4, infact we measured the wheelbase and it is 108" similar to the products from Solihull!

Good on the flat, and down hill. Not very good up hills. Nice view, top speed about 15 mph for very short periods, good handling in the dry, brakes can leave a bit to be desired. Driving position very upright. A Folding Airborne BSA Bicycle. :-D

Come over Sept 18 to Eindhoven...we can drive our bicycles there.

A lot of bicycles the last few years, in 2001 I was probably one of the few.

Pig is ideal for us, all the barbed plastic wire fits in nicely to sell :whistle: has presence, like an armoured Transit :schocked:

I like the pig as rare, compared to over the water production. And I have a soft spot for the B series RR motors :-D

And enables us to put our display on in the back, with a security grill over the rear opening :-D

And it's pretty easy to drive

HF :-D

IIRC - they were Mk 2's ? - we had one "on loan" from 240 Sdrn RCT(VR) way back then - I was with 215 Sdrn RCT(vR) at the time. We all had our class 2's on Militants (Mk1's) and our staff sgt did a deal with 240 for a month to gat our class 1's.

Saying way back then - I just realized that will be a quarter of a century ago next year....... :shake: :shake: :shake:

The Lightweight is like driving a hotrod in comparison to my diesel Defender. Great acceleration, wobbly steering - bit like driving an old mini on stilts!

Am particularly fond of the high pitched transmission whine that makes dogs bark and the heating that burns your shin but never de-mists the screen! Another nice touch is the way that, if you go through a puddle the spray is sucked in the back and deposited on the back of your neck. Ooh, and don't forget that fantastic noise that the tyres make. ;-)

Best driven with no doors, roof or screen (you can't hear the afore-mentioned transmission for a start!). Beach buggies? You can keep 'em :-D

Have also had a drive of a Jeep, a WC51 and a Jimmy - thought they were all fantastic fun!