Military Vehicles, whats yours like to drive!

da bomb

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morris 15cwt. Ever tried steering a brick? Brakes, hit the pedal and count to 10, when panic ensues one foot on the dashboard and pull the handbrake back as far as poss. Acceleration 0 to forty in five mins. Turning circle. For ever. Fuel consumption. Bloody hell. that much? Wouldn't swap her for the world. Mebbe I'm biased. :tup:

John.

101 ambulance blue lights two tones (It is still accepted by DVLA as an ambulance) 70+mph, 5 miles to stop, spins on a sixpence often when you don't want it to , sat nav programed or map marked with every fueling stop on the planet. 9' 6'' tall on a 6' 6'' width. Go anywhere in a straight line, if you have the height, but turning. :shake:

Ford WOT2. Acceleration good, Brakes stop if pushed hard enough, Steering a but heavy but not as bad as a Champ, Leaks water in the rain, cruises at 45mph on a motorway but it's noisy, will pull away at 15mph in top. However, only does 10 to a gallon.

Ford WOA2. Accelerates like a normal car, steering light and tends to wander, Brakes you have to get used to (If you hit them suddenly it swerves, too hard and it locks the wheels), cruises at 55mph on a motorway and you can still talk to your passenger. I get 12 to a gallon.

Both get attention on the road, and are fun to drive. Once you get used to working on a Ford V8, they are great vehicles to own.

Morris 15cwt. Ever tried steering a brick? Brakes, hit the pedal and count to 10, when panic ensues one foot on the dashboard and pull the handbrake back as far as poss. Acceleration 0 to forty in five mins. Turning circle. For ever. Fuel consumption. Bloody hell. that much? Wouldn't swap her for the world. Mebbe I'm biased. :tup:

John.

:-) This must be the general feeling of all those blessed with owning Brit 15cwts............ ;-)

:-) This must be the general feeling of all those blessed with owning Brit 15cwts............ ;-)

Well, seems like the Bedford MW 15cwt I used to look after for a customer, was an exception then :dunno:

The last time I took it for an MoT, it had just been shod with brand new Simex Trackgrips ( getting the plug in, Jack......do I get commission? ). The young chap had it on the ramps and done all the checks underneath, then got me to take it off and made a remark about "being too old to test the brakes". I said that was a new one on me, but would you please test the brakes on the rollers. I knew they were OK, but he was astounded by the figures, and as I told him, no servo either ;-)

Bedford Tm

A bag of c*** off road, even a smoothe field will have ya fillings out!!

On road, fine, great high driving position and all the power you will need, even up hill!!! (not many bedford owners can say that!!)

Mog 404-1

Off road awesome!!

On road, under powered in standard trim, but still great fun!!!

Stolly

The Dogs doodahs!!

A handful, but what a handful!

Magic carpet ride off road (Honest!!)

Stands on its nose, if the brakes are working right.

The best fun ever

And they swim too

Militant MkIII Recovery

noisy, but worth their 22 ton in gold if you are stuck.

Look good going sideways around flooded islands in the Cotswold's ( right Grumpers?)

Milly Drifting

Stolly's the only thing that can make you sea sick on dry land. :-D Years ago back in the days of black & white, once a year the BBC used to show a cross country vehicle competion. Army v London Motor Club. The idea was a quarry with two tracks. One vehicle went down one the second the other, best time wins, not that anybody seemed to care. One that I always remember was Stolly v Haflinger, the Stolly cheated and went across the lake, the Haffy ended up in a bush, the commentator said 'Oh I do hope the driver is all right', then stuck the microphone into the door, first time I heard swearing on TV. I suppose I can blame that for where I am today. :dunno:

I have to agree with Simon, the TM is good but c**p off road. The 101 is brilliant on or off road but mind your elbows and getting in and out as it's an acquired technique.

I own a left hand drive 101, still have trouble getting in and out of right hand drives, the ankles have learnt to bend the opposite way. And why are the instruments on a RHD the wrong way round? :dunno:

Stolly's the only thing that can make you sea sick on dry land. :-D

Noooo!!!

Anything tracked where you are sat in the back and facing sideways with no outside view will do it.

I am particularly thinking Sultan, sat in the back as a control signaller. The movement, particularly the wayit dips and rises as it brakes and accelerates did it for me every time.

I was glad I only did one season in the back between driving a Ferret and commanding a Ferret.

Ferret. Mmmmmmm

VW Iltis. Great fun. A bit noisey (mine is a deisel) but grand to use. Steering is a bit heavy for the size of the vehicle - I have no experience of Land Rovers - the seats are very comfortable. Finding reverse can be interesting and sometimes not trying to find it can be amusing. The hood offers poor vision at times - especially turning right out of a road in some circumstances.

The heater/blower is good but makes a bit of a racket. The whole contraption can be a bit rattly. It's an MV.

Noooo!!!

Anything tracked where you are sat in the back and facing sideways with no outside view will do it.

I am particularly thinking Sultan, sat in the back as a control signaller. The movement, particularly the wayit dips and rises as it brakes and accelerates did it for me every time.

I was glad I only did one season in the back between driving a Ferret and commanding a Ferret.

Ferret. Mmmmmmm

Ah Ha thats why a lot of tank suits have the big zipped pocket across the shoulders. :n00b:

Dodge WC21 with 214 engine and 900X16 tyres (original T215 and 750X16)

Drives very smooth and quiet.

So sold it for a WC56...

Very noisy and for some reason it revs very high at 40 MPH, don't really dare to drive faster...maybe low ratio diffs?

Antar is graet to drive. Steering is brilliant as the steering lock, Brakes are brilliant, but two gear lever sticks and double declutch is very tiring. Trying to remember which lever you changed last, which comes next, and sometimes having to do a double lever , double declutch change,

Power assisted steering is from pump on front of crankshaft, and at low engine revs does nothing. Don,t slow down for a beand and expect to get round it, you have to change down to keerp the revs up...

Dodge WC21 with 214 engine and 900X16 tyres (original T215 and 750X16)

Drives very smooth and quiet.

So sold it for a WC56...

Very noisy and for some reason it revs very high at 40 MPH, don't really dare to drive faster...maybe low ratio diffs?

to quote dodge' The drive system is made for reliability bot quietness'. Try a 101 on overun, scares the beJe*** out of you the first time. I thought the front axle was coming off.

Antar is graet to drive. Steering is brilliant as the steering lock, Brakes are brilliant, but two gear lever sticks and double declutch is very tiring. Trying to remember which lever you changed last, which comes next, and sometimes having to do a double lever , double declutch change,

Power assisted steering is from pump on front of crankshaft, and at low engine revs does nothing. Don,t slow down for a beand and expect to get round it, you have to change down to keerp the revs up...

now THAT sounds like hard work................... :whistle:

The jump up from direct to overdrive or down from Direct to underdrive is about 1/2 to 2/3 of a gear. if you are in overdrive 4th and you approach a hill, if it is gentle you may get away with changeing on the Aux box to Direct 4th, if the hill is steeper you are better doing your first gaer change as a full gear by coming out of 4th Overdive into 3rd Overdrive. It is always good to be in a direct gear when you near the crest of a hill cos you may be able to get an uphill change into overdrive, where you couldn't get a full gear on the main box (if that makes any sense atall)