WW1 Riker restoration project

alsfarms

Hi Al

Sorry for the slow reply. I have been distracted by other trucks. I had heard that there was a Riker over there but it had been "crushed", I think was the words used. How much actually have you got and what do you need. As you know these things are quite rare but occasionally turn up in the strangest of places. I have been talking to Bridgeport and they have scanned some documents for us and have been incredibly helpful. The British army always referred to them as Locomobiles (even after they had changed to Riker) and the US Army always as Rikers. Ideally, what would you like to restore yours as?

Hello, Per my introduction to this forum I included a picture of the main project I have, which is a 1909 Locomobile Model L Toy Tonneau.  This automobile was purchased new from Locomobile by my Great-Grand-Dad.  I have the engine done, body, fenders and a grundle of other small things completed.   Along the way, I had the opportunity to acquire a complete 1917-18 Riker engine.  Much of the pieces from Locomobile will or can be made to work so I have some bits and pieces that could help build the engine into a Riker.  The Riker engine is the most refined of the Locomobile 4 cylinder engines, manganese bronze crankcase, five main bearings, full pressure oiling, 6' stroke.  I am sure you are already aware of that information.  The first thing I would like to procure is a Riker or Locomobile 4 speed transmission.  If I can't locate a correct transmission, then I would entertain a different make side shift four speed and adapt, (last resort).  Next would be the chassis.  Am I correct in my thinking that the true Locomobile trucks were chain drive 5 tons, whereas the Riker utilized a worm drive rear axle and was listed as a 3 or 4 ton variant?   I see a wealth of information at the Bridgeport Library Locomobile Archive regarding Locomobile trucks as well as the Riker.  I have some early Locomobile information in the works right now.  It will be nice to get possession and I will update this forum.  I just studied pictures of your truck engine and it shows the Locomobile script on the top water manifold castings.  My engine shows "Riker" on those castings, but I would bet "dollars to donuts" that the engines are the same.  Is your truck titled as a Locomobile or Riker?  What year is your truck?  I will try to post a few pictures that show what the transmission is that I am looking for.

Al. 

ACtC-3deyEFbx27lpSrKfJFsw8iP8B-QAIxHO_aHYJoQApmR0GOIZtER3RiH-XSYAVAyh0iwjX3WDBQcEkHlso16EOhTvXRW0eP0uaT9ZxbL87r_oO5WqrNF8FjW06H68QjAn-GMNZ6Zvv6PNj8go71Bzhpb=w1214-h910-no.jpg

ACtC-3eMeFMOA3Knn0iVNXiFdcjnL5CrO94IiAldGL-XC_fw8zpo6uLUFW7_6F72lFeJRaVwjuEcvXNgbkURwOIsVH6ThqbC2XP5WoFxikYkpUA_RAl4tNFqOt83AOGAWExOpEBI7Kx9gBTXsovmRSyEoO7F=w683-h910-no.jpg

ACtC-3fNJDfhmnKvq_wJlbUAIr9EUenRHOKHidaz4N9r_i5SYKjzu2KyG1A1aUVR0JQ8ZYun_4kFP1WGJyfcaegR0spEifdsx2xtHNrAtl7KOHFcbzsArocFBJKCDhmtUG3NnWiDj5aUAFAdsd-g7Vadvu9K=w1214-h910-no.jpg

Nice Locomobile  truck in action video clip.  Thanks for sharing.  This clip certainly does give me the "urge" to proceed with the Riker project.  Do you or anyone else here have history of the Locomobile shown in the clip?  I would like to chat with the owner and l;earn more.

Al

If you click on this link it should take you to some more photos of it, including another one of it as a house:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=XK+548&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwiQsYSP3sPqAhUJUhoKHbTGA-sQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=XK+548&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQDDoECAAQGDoCCABQ7u4HWKb9B2CgnAhoAXAAeACAAX6IAe8CkgEDMi4ymAEAoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWc&sclient=img&ei=6-sIX9CPOomkabSNj9gO&bih=741&biw=1600

I think it sold in 1975 and it was restored by Simons father. I am not sure how long it took but he is obviously a very capable engineer and it comes out to events quite regularly.

Nice pictures and thanks for the reference.  It looks like this Locomobile has had a different radiator built, probably to replace a missing unit?  Do you know the  story?  I watched the VIdeo clip that showed this rig running at a show.  It sure runs nice.

Al

Yes, thats right. The original radiator would have been brass but was replaced at sometime with something else - not sure what it was. Simons Dad made a new one from brass. There seems to have been five different radiator types and you can approximately date it from the rad design.

What do you have for your Riker? Is there any chassis at all? Gearbox. Axles? Wheels? Starting of with just an engine is probably no worse than what we did with the Thornycroft. It can all be done if you wait long enough and are very lucky.

To answer your question.  I have a variety of pieces that could be reworked to build a RIker but I would sooner try to find a rolling chassis or parts thereof.  I do have a nice heavy front axle from a 1915 Seagrave and a bunch of wheel rim parts that I could use to put 24" pneumatic tires on the rig.  I would sooner hold for solid rubber wheels either wood or cast.  The worm drive is going to be a big issue unless I can find a rolling chassis.  If not I would probably work with a Timken.  No transmission, but I do have a spare Locomobile trans. to modify for use if all else fails.  No steering but that one can be overcome.  If I wanted to build it more towards a chain drive Locomobile , I have the trans-axle from the same Seagrave donor truck., I also have a chain drive rear axle , brakes and enough frame rail but I do not have the correct looking  bowed front frame  cross member..  As you can tell I could build a "bits a this and bits a that truck" but would sooner find the right stuff before I resort to that method for building the truck.

Al

Oh yes,  I would sure like to run across an original radiator that is apart so a duplicate set of castings could be made and allow me to have a proper radiator!  I imagine that I am really in the "dream mode"!

Here is another picture of Riker trucks at the factory.  I hope someone may have seen a forlorn chassis or any pieces laying out that could be used to help with my restoration project  It would be nice to order the parts I am missing  from the factory...if only there was still a factory........  I would start with the radiator as shown in the picture.   🙂

Al

2IsMSlVh.jpeg

Edited by alsfarms
clarity of thought
  • Like 2

Hello Dorset Boy,  I have a couple of questions for you.  First, does you truck still have its original hood?  Secondly, Could you either measure your hood or the engine compartment and give me a good idea of how long from radiator to cowling the hood should be?  How tall are the hood sides?  I have a lead on a hood and would like to have a fair idea if it is even close to what I should have.

Regards,

Al 

So far I have had no luck with my hunt for Locomobile/Riker truck parts here in the USA, (or for that matter even complete trucks).  I am an optimist and am well aware that anything is possible to be located under the next "rock".  I just need patience and keep up the hunt both hither and yon.

Al 

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a picture dated 2009.   This Riker truck was part of the Archie Crippen estate auction in Fresno California.  Does anyone here have any idea where this Riker truck is now and who owns it?  This picture was shared with me on the "Just Old Trucks" forum.

Al

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/412312fd-69ea-423d-8530-a37a.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, alsfarms said:

Here is a picture dated 2009.   This Riker truck was part of the Archie Crippen estate auction in Fresno California.  Does anyone here have any idea where this Riker truck is now and who owns it?  This picture was shared with me on the "Just Old Trucks" forum.

Al

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/412312fd-69ea-423d-8530-a37a.jpg

I had known about this one for a long time, but was always under the impression that it was in France. US does seem more likely though. It makes you wonder what else is still out there waiting to be rediscovered.

• Like 2