TRCU30 question

DougHone

Hi folks I want to build a model of a Scammell transporter carrying a Crusader III in Operation Bertram sunshade disguise however the Scammell model I purchased has bought up some hot debate in a group where I shared my plans. What I'm hoping to find out after a weeks spent searching without an answer is if my particular trailer is correct for December 1942 in North Africa? I have been told that mine is the late model and wasn't used in the desert, all the pics I have from NA show the 'Goose Neck' design. Is this correct that the Goose Neck was the 2nd version, AFTER the 20 ton type and BEFORE my type in the picture?? Thanks in advance.

raikisan-180102-5a4b900f43636-1600x850.jpg

When the museum of army transport reconstructed the TRMU PIONEER we were lucky in the fact that we had all the drawings and a video of them in use in the desert and it did show the 30 ton trailer in use in 1942.  the video was from british pathe news you may find it by  searching it if it helps also I think the 20 ton was known as the goose neck 

Edited by wally dugan

Wally so am I right that the trailer I have (the model pic in the OP)  is the late version and wasn't used in the desert? I have watched that Pathe video and grabbed some stills from it and it is the same as bottom one in your pic.

if you compare the two drawings you have made the 30 ton as the 20 ton has a cranked bed were as the 30ton has a relatively  straight deck in the video 1942 the one is the 30 ton so it was used in the north African  desert ww2 and there is a photograph in a number of   books of the pioneer SNOW WHITE with the early 20 ton  so it would be correct to say both were used all so as the desert war went on the tanks got heavier 

The top pic in the OP is from the makers site, you can see it's quite different to the one in NA carrying the Matilda.  I haven't started mine as when this version issue was raised I didn't do ahead with the build yet, I really hate historical errors so it would annoy me forever if I  screwed it up.

DOUG what is different  the only thing that jumps out on the model is there are no spreader plates over the rear set of wheels  these were fitted when loading and unloading and removed while travelling if you enlarge the 30 ton drawing you can make them out

This is the best comparison I can find of the 2 different trailers, the area above the towing point at the front is completely different and I'm told the bottom pic which is more straight through (my model) is the late version not used in Africa where the top pic is , I'm told, the early version and is more cranked and matches the photo I posted carrying the Matilda and every other pic in NA that I can find. In fact I can't find a photo of my straight through design anywhere so I don't know what references Thunder used.

2thuth35200_9a.jpg

2thuth35200_9b.jpg

Edited by DougHone

DOUG

The pictures l posted are from the official wartime data book dated 1944 it is not a copy it is the one  supplied  by the ministry of supply these are the only semi trailers shown for the pioneer  where the people are saying it.s wrong ask them were they have got the information from and if its wrong post it because the book l have is not some one's idea of what it looked like

Edited by wally dugan

Thank you Wally this is what I've been after for 2 weeks now, somebody with a good book who can give me a definitive answer!! 😎 All I've had until now is conflicting info and even a full on argument with a fella who knows the owner of Thunder models and basically called me an ass for daring to question his research. I can't find a single wartime pic of the trailer I bought which is why I started to dig deeper.

On a bright note to have found the correct trailer as a stand alone trailer for $45 so I'll get that and sell my one on ebay but keep the Scammell Pioneer to go with it. My Operation Bertram diorama can now go ahead 😁

Thanks again for baring with me.