Halftrack restorations?

Chris Hall

I’ve been dreaming of a Halftrack to restore for years but how much would a project cost and does anyone know of a dealer who sell projects? I’d even consider the USA if the seller can help with exportation etc. I need to get a rough idea of costs so I have a target to save for.

obviously a lot depends on condition and what’s left but I’d like to do some research. What I’ve found so far is that they’re not as common as Jeep projects!!

I would prefer more of a project even though they cost more in the long run. I enjoy the restoration/repairing over just buying something already done. I wish I’d picked up one of the ex-Israeli Halftracks 10 years ago when they were 10 to 12,000 Euros but having a family was priority back then.

Since then I’ve sold the bikes and bought a GPW which has been fun doing with my son chipping in with tool fetching. Now I’d like something a little bigger as I enjoy big jobs on big things. I’ve been repairing and fault finding fast jets for 25 years but I’m moving into more of a management role and miss the hands on, hence the dream of rebuilding a halftrack. It would be a very long term project though.

• Like 1

Thanks, I’ve been watching his listings for a while to get an idea of parts availability and costs. Parts are cheaper than for the GPW even though they’re bigger in most cases. Shipping is likely to be the killer but I have a very good shipping method to get stuff home from the USA.