Early '70s Landrovers on film

Hair Bear

What I find remarkable by modern standards, and also rather nostalgic, is that virtually all the vehicles are British. I spotted only about a dozen cars and not a single commercial vehicle of foreign manufacture.

On 6/28/2020 at 9:53 PM, utt61 said:

What I find remarkable by modern standards, and also rather nostalgic, is that virtually all the vehicles are British. I spotted only about a dozen cars and not a single commercial vehicle of foreign manufacture.

I’m sure there was a Scania near the end, but certainly almost all vehicles were British made. 

Just watched again, and at around 7.40 there is a grey Scania artic.

Edited by Ex-boy
Additional info.

On 6/28/2020 at 9:53 PM, utt61 said:

Britain was then fundamentally self - sufficient for vehicle manufacture. One issue was the mechanicals were essentially still the same as 10+ years earlier. There was too little investment private or public in development and modernisation of production.

Demand fell away in favour of imports that made the UK products look outdated. Further basic Japanese cars like the Datsun Cherry 100A had reliability and build consistency that was in a different league from anything British.

1:35  I stopped the moovie for the first LWT , unfortunately unclear and can't get the ERM.     Travelling - certainly vehicles more interesting in those days ,  I used to stay at The George  Bp. Stortford for a week  1973 , 1978 , 1993/94  -  it never changed.

1 hour ago, david1212 said:

Britain was then fundamentally self - sufficient for vehicle manufacture. One issue was the mechanicals were essentially still the same as 10+ years earlier. There was too little investment private or public in development and modernisation of production.

Demand fell away in favour of imports that made the UK products look outdated. Further basic Japanese cars like the Datsun Cherry 100A had reliability and build consistency that was in a different league from anything British.

I was all over Oz & Kiwi  1970/71  ,  I had noticed Jap vehicles in Oz , so no big surprise when they landed in UK.   The most noticeable thing I recall was when the Subaru 284 pickup 4x4 was imported, the local pub car park filled up with them (farmers sons)  - strange thing was they were always a shade of Navy Blue  ?    In a perverted way - I would like one to restore.