Flying flea photo

Flying_flea

Great find ..and we'll spotted Ron .for Royal Enfield the flying flea was a huge success with 4000 ordered by the government and it having an identifiable use in the war . The team from Royal Enfield that produced it would have attended the tests and subsequently completed required modifications ..but also  post war the success of the bike represented a major sales opportunity ..so I would suggest it's either a wartime photo of the design team or royal enfield management or an immediate post war photo ..(suits look 1940)

It would be great if we  could identify the gentleman holding the bike in the centre ..?..Any Royal Enfield historians ?

Jenkinov

Looking to see if I can trace the bikes registration ..the three letters and three number system was introduced in 1932 ..EA is a Dudley prefix....can anyone confirm the full registration .I am struggling g with the 3rd character 

Jenkinov

6 minutes ago, jenkinov said:

Looking to see if I can trace the bikes registration ..the three letters and three number system was introduced in 1932 ..EA is a Dudley prefix....can anyone confirm the full registration .I am struggling g with the 3rd character 

Jenkinov

Looks like it says ‘EAB 332’

Sam

F06D1474-5F37-4173-A01E-4A8A50D1AD18.png

Thats really interesting , I was pursuing the reg number to see if i could identify if the photo was wartime or immediate post war but sounds as if Jan knows about the bike , I am Curious if works demonstrator means prototype , ? so very interested to get his input on the photo 

Jenkinov 

Here I am... 😃

EAB 331 and EAB 332 are two works registrations, for "RE 125 cycle". I can't work out the registration date, but the entries before and after are all November 1942. There are several pictures of EAB 332 in the Stilltime Archives, some of these pictures show tests in a lake, some are taken in what looks like a factory. This is definitely not the Enfield factory in Redditch, for as far as I can see... I have no idea about the man in the suit, but the officer (4th from right) is Captain J.J. Hall, who also wrote for one of the weeklies. I've also added a picture from Hall's scrapbook.

The other picture with Arthur Bourne is EAB 456, another works demonstrator from January 1943.

Schermafbeelding 2020-06-26 om 18.22.32.png

Bike 1593.jpg

Bike 2998.jpg

Bike 2999.jpg

IMG_8485.JPG

DSCN3410.JPG

Schermafbeelding 2016-05-27 om 08.13.52.png

8 hours ago, jenkinov said:

Great find ..and we'll spotted Ron .for Royal Enfield the flying flea was a huge success with 4000 ordered by the government and it having an identifiable use in the war . The team from Royal Enfield that produced it would have attended the tests and subsequently completed required modifications ..but also  post war the success of the bike represented a major sales opportunity ..so I would suggest it's either a wartime photo of the design team or royal enfield management or an immediate post war photo ..(suits look 1940)

It would be great if we  could identify the gentleman holding the bike in the centre ..?..Any Royal Enfield historians ?

Jenkinov

Not sure who the man who's holding the bike is... Could indeed be Tony Wilson Jones, Enfields chief engineer - designer.

Schermafbeelding 2020-06-26 om 19.01.14.png

Schermafbeelding 2020-06-26 om 19.02.52.png

The photo shows the Flea in it's final production form (with the exception of the number plates) so this is either late-1942 or early-1943........it is known that the Enfield works retained several examples for testing and modification purposes, James with their ML doing similar......