Jump to content
SquireBev

A Guide to British Vehicle Markings

Recommended Posts

I will scan it and post it for you to see.

The Photos are taken in Palestine.

Kevin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Here you go, see what you think?

50050243968_2365271a67_k.jpg

This could have been taken at one of two places, some of the photos have 'at the beach - Alexandria' on the back then the another couple say 'Jaffa Beach' which I know is in old Tel Aviv. 

Note the white hand stencil.

Kevin.

Edited by Rootes75

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK Kevin it looks like Wally is right about the no hand signals  I've photo shopped your photo to bring out more detail and below the hand is written R H DRIVE !

 

The white bar under the 60 denotes GHQ troops and for MEF this could be Motor Battalion

the Camel we have already discussed

The 35 in a circle is a max speed limit sign

The truck reg number is Z457394 this is a Ford WoT2 15cwt GS on contract V4433 

Pete

 

 

50050243968_2365271a67_k.jpg.3d6b7c628eec9b56ee3bec66e2ca7760.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Pete Ashby said:

OK Kevin it looks like Wally is right about the no hand signals  I've photo shopped your photo to bring out more detail and below the hand is written R H DRIVE !

 

The white bar under the 60 denotes GHQ troops and for MEF this could be Motor Battalion

the Camel we have already discussed

The 35 in a circle is a max speed limit sign

The truck reg number is Z457394 this is a Ford WoT2 15cwt GS on contract V4433 

Pete

 

 

50050243968_2365271a67_k.jpg.3d6b7c628eec9b56ee3bec66e2ca7760.jpg

Thats brilliant Pete, such a huge amount of info from just a few details.

I did note the R H Drive on the original but as it is not in white didnt associate it with the hand stencil.

Kevin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pleased to be of help Kevin I always think there's no point in having information if it's not shared :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Pete Ashby said:

Pleased to be of help Kevin I always think there's no point in having information if it's not shared :thumbsup:

Thank you Pete, I find researching stuff like this fascinating, especially when its family or vehicle related!!

Kevin.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of interest, I wonder what the truck is to the left?

Dodge / Chevrolet maybe?

Kevin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Rootes75 said:

Out of interest, I wonder what the truck is to the left?

Dodge / Chevrolet maybe?

Kevin

It could be a Dodge D15 Kevin 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Pete Ashby said:

It could be a Dodge D15 Kevin 

I did wonder that but the louvres in the bonnet dont look like others I have seen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst we are discussing vehicle markings  one of my relatives served in the British Army in WWII, and for a period in North Africa, but maybe other locations as well.

He acquired the formation marking plate from the front of "his" truck as a war memento, and it has been in the loft for 75 odd years, with some photos.  It has not been retouched or restored, it is as it was in WWII. It measures 8.5 x 9.5 inches. I did ask him about the truck it was attached to, but his memory was not that good at that time.

I have included two photos from many he either took or was given to set the scene, and added the descriptions  from the rear of the photos..  I would like to know if anyone knows which unit was 2719, because I have never come across it in my investigations.

image.png.303fb7fefbc07ca88beddca4e1984b4f.png

German Tanks

 

image.png.775491be8c03353302f9c1f105b870f4.png

Desert Canteen

 

image.png.b73e095a2feb859d59498ba9909eba19.png

So 10 Corps, but Unit?

 

I could upload some WWII vehicle photos from North Africa and Middle East, but not sure where they should go..

Regards,

B Series

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just keep this thread going please, so much to learn from little snipets of a photograph.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, B series said:

Whilst we are discussing vehicle markings  one of my relatives served in the British Army in WWII, and for a period in North Africa, but maybe other locations as well.

He acquired the formation marking plate from the front of "his" truck as a war memento, and it has been in the loft for 75 odd years, with some photos.  It has not been retouched or restored, it is as it was in WWII. It measures 8.5 x 9.5 inches. I did ask him about the truck it was attached to, but his memory was not that good at that time.

I have included two photos from many he either took or was given to set the scene, and added the descriptions  from the rear of the photos..  I would like to know if anyone knows which unit was 2719, because I have never come across it in my investigations.

So 10 Corps, but Unit?

 

I could upload some WWII vehicle photos from North Africa and Middle East, but not sure where they should go..

Regards,

B Series

 

 

Interesting  photos suggest you upload them into a separate thread in British Vehicles section with an appropriate title .

The Unit plate is is also very interesting not least for its genuine  authenticity .  I think your correct with 10 Corps this is the early design I believe white disc and white bar on red background, later it could be found as the same design but on a green background,   I'd be intrested to know if there anything on the reverse side ? as it appears to be a pass plate, note the hole for a split pin top center to keep the plate from jumping out of the carrier bracket.

As to the 2719 number I can't find a reference to it the nearest is a group of numbers issued to RAOC Forward Ammo sections in the 2700 range.  These were GHQ Middle East Forces numbers so it is possible that the 2719 number was also part of this number allocation although it's unusual being displayed on a plate at Corps level ( the Corps sign ie disc and bar and not on Black later to become Blue Red Blue flash of the RAOC)

Pete

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Pete Ashby said:

Interesting  photos suggest you upload them into a separate thread in British Vehicles section with an appropriate title .

The Unit plate is is also very interesting not least for its genuine  authenticity .  I think your correct with 10 Corps this is the early design I believe white disc and white bar on red background, later it could be found as the same design but on a green background,   I'd be intrested to know if there anything on the reverse side ? as it appears to be a pass plate, note the hole for a split pin top center to keep the plate from jumping out of the carrier bracket.

As to the 2719 number I can't find a reference to it the nearest is a group of numbers issued to RAOC Forward Ammo sections in the 2700 range.  These were GHQ Middle East Forces numbers so it is possible that the 2719 number was also part of this number allocation although it's unusual being displayed on a plate at Corps level ( the Corps sign ie disc and bar and not on Black later to become Blue Red Blue flash of the RAOC)

Pete

 

Thank you for your comments about the photos and the Unit plate. I did not know if the photos would be interesting to anyone, I will load some on soon onto the British vehicle section.

Regarding the unit plate, I have had a closer look at it and can confirm it is a stamped out part with corner radii  and the split pin hole (which I thought had been drill to hang on the wall), is also stamped out. So it has not been locally manufactured, maybe was supplied as part of the vehicle kit.

But here is a strange thing, I could not see any number or letters under the red paint, and I don't want to start sanding it down because I like the fact that is original. But now I have loaded the photo onto HMVF, you can make out a P and two SS's half way down the plate. I am amazed at that, and I still cannot see them in real life!

image.png.2690b5b4f98089822a7d165d6aebe73f.png

 

B series

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There you go then a genuine Pass plate well done a very rare item indeed. 

This side will have the original vehicle colour under the red paint and PASS will be either white if the base colour is G3  or black if it's light Stone.

Pete

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a photo of what I think is a armoured command vehicle based on a AEC Matador 4x4 chassis. I think this photo was taken during WW II, judging by it's position in a photo album and the surrounding photos.

Note the crossed keys formation sign. Not sure about the F89216, it is not WW II format vehicle number, maybe it is not the vehicle number but some other code number.

image.png.e1151ec887141070cddf85374a012bd1.png

 

Let me know if these type of photos are not required.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a Dorchester ACV.

I believe the only other model of ACV was the Guy Lizard, and these were somewhat smaller.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to AEC Matador by Steve Richards, there were two batches of ACVs based on the Matador. The first batch had census numbers in the series L4426xxx and L4427xxx. The second batch was numbered F89104 to F89313 and was built on a January 1942 contract. F indicated an armoured scout car or armoured car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Referring to the very rare original PASS plate. I think the seven white circles are where the tin of white paint stood while it was being used !

David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To add to the ACV in the photograph chassis number 4474 the post war registration number was 98 ZR  21 and the contract number was VM11373 and was for 210 vehicles

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, David Herbert said:

Referring to the very rare original PASS plate. I think the seven white circles are where the tin of white paint stood while it was being used !

David

You could be correct, but the pot marks are gloss cream paint, and the PASS plate lettering is a thin matt white paint. But I like the idea. If only that plate could talk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Noel7 said:

According to AEC Matador by Steve Richards, there were two batches of ACVs based on the Matador. The first batch had census numbers in the series L4426xxx and L4427xxx. The second batch was numbered F89104 to F89313 and was built on a January 1942 contract. F indicated an armoured scout car or armoured car.

Thanks for this information. I did not know WW II armoured cars had such short census numbers starting with F. At least I have learnt something new today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, B series said:

Note the crossed keys formation sign. Not sure about the F89216, it is not WW II format vehicle number, maybe it is not the vehicle number but some other code number.

image.png.e1151ec887141070cddf85374a012bd1.png

 

Let me know if these type of photos are not required.

I think there are two possibilities for the location of of the photo the Div sign is for the 2nd Div and by the style of uniform worn by the chap in the photo I'd suggest it's  tropical kit either in Burma 1944, or Malaya at the end of 1945.  There is one other possibility as 5th Brigade group of this Div went on Army of occupation duties in Japan  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is another vehicle marking plate from WW II, from same collection as the previous PASS plate, so it has been in storage for 75 ish years. I have no information on formation or unit, but maybe related to North Africa or MEF.

Plate size is 8 1/4 x 9 1/2 inches.  

image.png.32b9bf3519f2ca4519825f656100eb93.png

 

image.png.65cad668ba0ce1a3a0041ba1ece53213.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...