International K-5 BUS

ruxy

Apparently International Harvester & built  1946

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53106441

You often see these bus in films , painted yellow and used as school bus.    Well my school bus was a pre-WW2  Bedford or in the main a pre-WW2  AEC ,  the company had double-decker AEC that had apparently been run into the earth in London area prior to their last gasp over 200 miles north.

Military content - obviously the helo-lift ,  were these K-5 originally designed & built for US military  ?

When we were on a construction project in Canada (Waterleap 1982) back in 1982 we had 2 of thse type of buses allocated for trips out around the area.

One instance was whn we were invited by an ex pat to visit his Fish and Chip restaurant about 30 miles away from our base in Meaford Ontario.

There was a max of 150 of us and about half did not go on the trip so about 75 turned up on the night.

I seem to remember it being a bit cramped so a 40 limit on numbers per bus would seem about right.

The F + C's were not really worth the trip but we showed up to say thanks for the invite.

One of the various vehicles that I did not get a photo of.

As an aside to this.

There have been attempts by various councils to get vehicles like these only newer used for school transport, stating that they are safer.

They will only be safer if the operating instructions that are in use in the USA and Canada are imposed over here.

When the stop lights on the bus go on everything on that road in both directions must stop until the lights go out. 

Edited by ploughman