Guy Ant Gs

jenkinov

This Guy Ant was on a local farm for years and when the farm was sold was saved from the scrap yard by a local garage . It’s now parked on the side of a local road and clearly needs a major restoration .

the first photo is a reference photo the second is the vehicle in question 

not for the faint hearted .. 

Jenkinov

05AA5981-4F88-4EAF-9C61-4D10490530B1.png

482FEBCC-571A-4F08-91B4-DF0395FE9699.jpeg

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jenkinov said:

This Guy Ant was on a local farm for years and when the farm was sold was saved from the scrap yard by a local garage . It’s now parked on the side of a local road and clearly needs a major restoration .

the first photo is a reference photo the second is the vehicle in question 

not for the faint hearted .. 

Jenkinov

05AA5981-4F88-4EAF-9C61-4D10490530B1.png

482FEBCC-571A-4F08-91B4-DF0395FE9699.jpeg

I think I have a photo of this one in the scrapyard. I asked about its availability at the time and never heard anything back. Is it available now do you know?

Would you pm me with any details if you know?

Kevin.

Edited by Rootes75

I had a good look around for an identifying plate but could not see anything easily ? it could be missing but if anyone could tell me where to look that might help , I did get a photo of the engine which looks complete and close ups of the H number but regrettably these ended up as photo bursts so i can't add them to the forum ..

The H Number has H 4501211 ...based on the visible numbers or their paint shadows 

its been 15 plus years since i first saw  this vehicle up close and it looks much the same ..I was amazed to see military canvas & buckles still riveted in place on the steel plate behind the drivers position 

Jenkinov 

18 hours ago, Rootes75 said:

I know its rough and as you say not for the feint hearted but what a project that could be.

Quite seriously, would they be open to someone saving her?

Kevin.

Hi Kevin Ive known this truck for a very long time and have visited it over many years and each time tried to buy it but could never even get a price 

it was originally in John Shepard’s scrap yard near ripon then along with a Karrier k6 with steel body and k9 radio truck moved to a farm I think the Karrier at one point had been used to pick up stone for the building work I think the chap who owned this place worked at Shepard’s at one point I know the guy was protected by a load of timber back then but the Karrier suffered badly and the stone it once carried fell through the floor of the body  Don’t know what happened to that or the k9 but the Guy moved as something went on at the farm to a local garage that did transits 

I’d still like to save this along with my other Ants but have tried and nothing 

21 minutes ago, early british ww2 said:

Hi Kevin Ive known this truck for a very long time and have visited it over many years and each time tried to buy it but could never even get a price 

it was originally in John Shepard’s scrap yard near ripon then along with a Karrier k6 with steel body and k9 radio truck moved to a farm I think the Karrier at one point had been used to pick up stone for the building work I think the chap who owned this place worked at Shepard’s at one point I know the guy was protected by a load of timber back then but the Karrier suffered badly and the stone it once carried fell through the floor of the body  Don’t know what happened to that or the k9 but the Guy moved as something went on at the farm to a local garage that did transits 

I’d still like to save this along with my other Ants but have tried and nothing 

This is just the type of MV project that we would like to start from. Our interest is in saving and preserving. Like I said, I was first told about this Guy many years back and also tried to find out its availabilty but with no success.

I would love to preserve it.

I feel I should point out that this (both pics) would appear to be a Quad Ant - the four wheel drive version, which, I would guess, is even rarer than the ordinary 4x2 Ant.  With an H registration it was probably the 6 pounder gun tractor version originally, possibly even the FAT version.

Chris

Edited by chrisgrove

14 minutes ago, chrisgrove said:

I feel I should point out that this (both pics) would appear to be a Quad Ant - the four wheel drive version, which, I would guess, is even rarer than the ordinary 4x2 Ant.  With an H registration it was probably the 6 pounder gun tractor version originally, possibly even the FAT version.

Chris

It is definitely a Guy Ant Quad or Quad Ant as you say They are not rarer however than the 4x2 Guy Ants which everybody hated both in service and out of service as they were painfully slow quite under powered and uncomfortable to drive and I believe more Quad Anys survives due to being 4x4 as they had the same meadows marine engine and were also very slow but they were of a wider track Had bigger wheels and could go anywhere almost So a lot found there way into garage breakdown trucks especially in areas where winter roads were a problem Also many were used on farms 

this one is a G.S version which may have towed a six pounder Haven’t had chance to revisit my production cards from Guy Motors to see if was one of the FATs Guy converted to 6 per anti tank gun tractors As far as I can remember all Quad Ants wore H census numbers 

This really needs saving so it can at least be a source of spares to save others or maybe still be restored in its own rights and we’d certainly be interested but as I’ve already said tried to buy it several times over many years but could never get a response or price from any owner which is a real shame ...

13 minutes ago, early british ww2 said:

It is definitely a Guy Ant Quad or Quad Ant as you say They are not rarer however than the 4x2 Guy Ants which everybody hated both in service and out of service as they were painfully slow quite under powered and uncomfortable to drive and I believe more Quad Anys survives due to being 4x4 as they had the same meadows marine engine and were also very slow but they were of a wider track Had bigger wheels and could go anywhere almost So a lot found there way into garage breakdown trucks especially in areas where winter roads were a problem Also many were used on farms 

this one is a G.S version which may have towed a six pounder Haven’t had chance to revisit my production cards from Guy Motors to see if was one of the FATs Guy converted to 6 per anti tank gun tractors As far as I can remember all Quad Ants wore H census numbers 

This really needs saving so it can at least be a source of spares to save others or maybe still be restored in its own rights and we’d certainly be interested but as I’ve already said tried to buy it several times over many years but could never get a response or price from any owner which is a real shame ...

Its so often the case that we know about vehicles yet its so hard to get hold of an owner or even talk to them.

Agreed it needs to be saved, would love to have a go restoring it but just cant see it going our way.

Your 4x4 Ant was indeed a 6 pounder tractor (or FAT).  The give-away is the winch fairlead on the front bumper which the GS versions lacked as they did not have a winch.  I can find only one pic of a GS 4x4 Ant with a Z number (Z5520430 - printed in a number of books) which looks as if it was a wartime picture (and explains why I thought it was even rarer than the 4x2 GS).  I found one other with a Z number but as the pic was clearly post war and restored, I discounted it.  The FAT and 6 pounder tractor versions certainly all seem to have carried H numbers.  I doubt that, apart from at least the remains of the winch kit, you would be able to tell whether a truck was a 4x4 GS or a tractor as the load bed was much the same.  There were seats in the back for the gun crew, and the tilt was higher and provided with 'windows' for the tractor, but none of that, I guess, remains on that truck.

I have seen one or two 4x2 Ants and at least one FAT, but never a 4x4 Ant GS or tractor!  I do, however, have a pic of a 4x2 Ant still in service in Austria in 1945, so someone must have been fond of it enough to keep it going!

Chris

Edited by chrisgrove
  • Like 1

Many years ago there was a Guy 4x4 used collecting sea coal, my father knew the owner and one day stopped him on Woodhorn Road Ashington the bolts around the axle had come loose and the crown wheel was showing. This is the only Guy Ant I had ever heard of in Northumberland. That was in the 1950s.

I’m pretty sure when I first saw this it still had the rear body on it but no seats It was just a std wooden body 

over the years I’ve seen a few Quads in various guises and I’ve a few mates that have had them or still have them including an FAT

does anyone remember the Quad Ant FAT that used to go to the shows on the back of a converted fire engine ? 
there’s the tow truck in Cumbria that used to belong to a friend and there was a quad ant in the grange Caberns museum and con baton combat collection 

24 minutes ago, early british ww2 said:

does anyone remember the Quad Ant FAT that used to go to the shows on the back of a converted fire engine ? 
t

That one on the back of a Bedford fire engine belonged to John Rowell of Peterborough. Not seen it for many years.

I know of a restored Guy 4x4 FAT in Australia, and a friend had an unrestored one a few years ago

32 minutes ago, Richard Farrant said:

That one on the back of a Bedford fire engine belonged to John Rowell of Peterborough. Not seen it for many years.

I know of a restored Guy 4x4 FAT in Australia, and a friend had an unrestored one a few years ago

Was that the same fella John Rowell who owned the only original Humber ambulance too Richard ? 
Also know of the one you speak of in Australia I think there was one or two Guy Snts our there at one point 

Speaking of Ants has anyone seen the tin top Ant lately that originally was a wireless but restored as a GS ? 

9 hours ago, early british ww2 said:

I’m pretty sure when I first saw this it still had the rear body on it but no seats It was just a std wooden body 

over the years I’ve seen a few Quads in various guises and I’ve a few mates that have had them or still have them including an FAT

there’s the tow truck in Cumbria that used to belong to a friend and there was a quad ant in the grange Caberns museum and con baton combat collection 

Its seems all the more a shame it wasnt able to be saved all those years ago. 

I have been looking at the photos I have of it back in 2014 and although she was rough then she certainly wasnt as rotten as she is now.

• 7 months later...
On 6/21/2020 at 9:44 AM, Rootes75 said:

Its seems all the more a shame it wasnt able to be saved all those years ago. 

I have been looking at the photos I have of it back in 2014 and although she was rough then she certainly wasnt as rotten as she is now.

SDC10002.JPG

3 hours ago, Jean.B said:

SDC10002.JPG

When was this photo taken ? Is it the same truck ? I remember it being parked up on the farm for many years before moving to the garage where it is now and have never seen it that complete If it is the same truck it makes it even more of a shame when you look at it now Would still give it stable room even now tbh