jeep diff setting

Jerry Jeep

have spent today doing a diff if you fancy having a go. having striped and cleaned out diff case I then need the set the pinion tp the correct setting the pinion will have a number on the end it could be +1 up to +7 or -1 to -7 this is + or - thou from standard. This pinion is a +2 so this pinion would need setting to 4266 this is obtained by adding shims to the inner pinion bearing then measure down with a dial gauge I start with the shims that were in there to begin with add or remove till you get  4266 took me 3 goes to get it. I then need to set the pre load on the pinion bearing with shims between the inner and outer fit the outer bearing and you are after what my dad would call a comfortable drag I got it on the 1st go. then fitted the new inner 1/2 shaft seals with a tool I made myself next we need to set the back lash on the crown wheel fit the diff in place and set a dial gauge to read the back last between pinion and crown wheel. This axle the pinion was set to far out and left a strange weir pattern on the crown wheel, move the crown wheel closer or away from the pinion by moving shims from one side to the other you are looking for a back lash of 5 to 7 thou it took me 4 goes to get the back lash , make shore you fit the bearing caps with matching numbers and match the stamping on  the casting, never hammer a bearing on I have made tools to only work the inner part of the bearing and don't use a copper hammer as bits can come off the get left inside its not a fast job took me most of the day to do I only have 3 more axles to do hope this helps some one out there all the best jerry 

P1000978.JPG

P1000982.JPG

P1000984.JPG

P1000987.JPG

P1000991.JPG

P1000985.JPG

P1000980.JPG

P1000986.JPG

P1000993.JPG

P1000994.JPG

P1000999.JPG

P1010001.JPG