Martyn

Triumph 3HW 1941

Hello,

My name is Martyn last year i was attending a local Steam and Transport Rally exhibiting a Triumph Thunderbird 1954 on my triumph owners club stand and a gentleman came up an asked if i knew of any body who was interested in a 1941 Army Triumph 3HW as he knew of one that was up for sale i took the details and the rest is history. i had previously earlier in the the year been over to Normandy for the 75 Anniversary so i was very excited to own a Military Motorcycle!  the motorcycle looks the part and i think it might have been used for a static exhibit and not ridden i asked the gentleman i purchased it from for any history but he had nothing the log book states Date of first 23/8/1941 date of first registration in the UK 1/12/2015 VIN/chassis TL30318 Engine number 3HW52550. I have a couple of things i would if possible find out some information where the bike has been from 1941 until 2015 tall order i know i to sort out the running of the bike as it starts fine but after approximately it cuts out and then runs for a matter of 30 seconds and cuts out again and is like that until you let it cool right down but it will sit ticking over starting from cold indefinitely mystery to me? anyway sorry for the ramble any information gratefully received stay safe kind regards Martyn          

TL 30318 is not listed in O&M but should be from 1941. Possibly more lost records? Maybe Steve M can shed some light. Engine 52550 is from contract S2956 in 1943/4. There should be a date stamp under your saddle on the top of the saddle tube. eg ...........TEC MM.YY (Triumph Engineering Co "Date")  Ron

Hi

Based on the lists published in British Forces Motorcycles 1939 to 1945 frame no TL30318 is from a triumph 3sw which was allocated to the RAF  under contract C11465 .the frame range was TL30266 to 30415 ...the engine range was 3SW 40266 to 40415 ..it was one of 150 produced between 12/8/41. And 18/9/41..

Many 3sw were 're engined post war with the higher performance 3hw engine .

Ron has detailed the engine is from 1943..

Would it be ok if we got photos of the bike from each side .with close ups of the front forks . Frame number on the front post ..Frame date under the seat and of the engine numbers ..this should allow the forum to identify parts and give you additional info.

This is the only surviving  frame i am aware of from contract 11465 so a rare ..

Jenkinov

Doh! I never thought to look at the 3SW's😡 School boy error, when it's often the case that they are retro fitted like that.

Ron

Many thanks for your reply's i have attached a couple of photos as requested, the images i have attached are the one on my phone i will attach more if required when i am able to.

many thanks, 

Martyn   

image.png

triumph.PNG

Clearly it has Triumph forks and an aluminium chaincase (not 3HW Webb forks and steel chaincase) Also fitted with 3HW pillion and pannier equipment. Ron

Just got an image of the frame number from the frame post if that helps anychas.PNG.7605c26cc45bedf7e75876aff318c7bf.PNG  

Many thanks for the information so far regarding my Triumph 3HW  any more information would be gratefully i would like to keep this motorcycle for many years to come and anything i can find out would be great for the future of this motorcycle and its future custodians.

many thanks 

Martyn