Vehicles hidden away..

Rootes75

• 5 weeks later...

I guess there are those who have taken on a project but never completed it and got too old to start work but lived in hope of being able to do so and kept it till they died, after which the family saw the project as a pile of junk and parted with it for a few hundred pounds to 'We buy any MV' or the local scrap dealer.

Similarly there will be regulars on the show scene with viable vehicles but as they grow older they just cannot be bothered to go to the likes of WPR, so their MV gets out less and less, until some minor inconvenience like a flat tire or battery means the MV gets left in the garage, slowly getting less roadworthy. Such owners are never going to sell their pride and joy. However what happens next depends on whether their family appreciate the MVs worth, after the owner has 'gone'. 

Its a depressing thought that we don't own our MVs so much as keep them for the next generation!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LarryH57 said:

Its a depressing thought that we don't own our MVs so much as keep them for the next generation!

I take the opposite view I don't think of it as depressing,  I consider it as a part of my rational for spending so much time and money doing what I do.  Without wishing to get too heavy about it all for me my vehicles have never been just diversions or trophies to show off, to me they represent a three dimensional tangible piece of world  history that had a profound effect on people who lived through the period and shaped the world that exists today. 

I do agree with you that we are merely custodians of our vehicles not least because no one person can own history, I also believe with the custodianship  comes a certain responsibility particularly as the generation who's history the vehicles represent have now all but passed, it's are turn now.

Will there be people to continue after us ? a few perhaps,  but here I agree with you in that what I find depressing is how the quickly the world forgets the hard and painful lessons learnt  in the head long rush to a bright new future.

A much wiser man than me once said 'when humanity forgets it's history it is doomed to repeat the same mistakes'.

Pete

Edited by Pete Ashby

I do feel quite privileged to own the vehicles that I have, I enjoy preserving things for the next generation.

Part of that ownership is enlightening the next generation in the whys, whats and whens of these vehicles. To see my youngest want to help out and to see his knowledge of the vehicles grow and be able to explain to others at shows is lovely, he's only 8 years old.

My main thought though on this thread is for the vehicles that are kept hidden away, rotting away in many cases without a hope of being preserved. We are custodians, we are those folk as restorers who have the skills and knowledge to bring these vehicles back to life to be able to tell their stories.

• Like 2