James ML questions

Dave Ashby

Hello all,

Hoping to get a bit of info on an ML that's been languishing in the back of the shed for nearly 25 years - reading some of the topics on here has encouraged me to dig it out and take a look.

From what I have read I believe the frame to be a post war civilian due to the high number and stand retaining clip. The engine number starts AAA and ends A although it is stamped on the flat boss (bit confused here - I thought triple A = wartime but flat boss post war?) I do have another number on the other side of the engine where most people's triple A number is stamped. There is no number stamped on the frame lug on the seat post.

Frame number: ML12827

Engine number: AAA19696A

Other engine number: 539/416

If anyone is interested in seeing photos I will post tomorrow.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, many thanks,

Dave

Dave the last frame number issued to the WO was 8500. There was an additional 1500 from the last contract that were canceled which still only take the frame numbers to 10,000. But I believe the ML continued being supplied to the civilian market (with civy amendments) till 1948.  Ron

Dave, congrats on digging out your ML !

As Ron has commented, your ML would appear to be an early post-war civilian example, possibly either 1946 or 1947 ? Do you have a V5 document for it ?

The number on the flat-"plate" section at the top of the gearbox cover "539/416" is a post-war Villiers engine identification number....these didn't feature on wartime engines as the "AAA" number is the actual engine number of yours which is either pre-war civilian (circa 1939-41) or very early WD. Unfortunately records of Villiers 9D engine numbers do not appear to have been retained but it is thought that they were fitted to WD James ML's at random without any particular sequence. The suffix "A" after the engine number was a mark applied by Villiers to signify a post-1939 9D engine with the revised crankcase sealing method (the "gland" seal on the driving side), the "A" signifying "amended"......

I suspect that your ML is a post-war civilian example that has been fitted at some point in the past with an exchange or replacement engine unit that may or may not be WD.....the gearbox cover would not be related to the engine and is likely also a replacement part.....

Some of the early civilian production ML's used up existing stock of WD parts. These included the cylindrical tool box, the WD DU42 headlight, handlebars and folding footrests. Any combination of these parts may be encountered and may reflect a post-war dealer rebuild or refurbishment........

Compared to the WD/RE Flea, it is not too difficult to construct a replica WD machine from a civilian model. Most of the WD-specific parts are available as reproductions or existing parts can be adapted. However, this is clearly a personal choice !

Please post some images on here as always of interest !

Many thanks for the replies, it’s always good to have these things confirmed by experts on the subject.

Personally I shall not go down the route of making it look WD - replicas are not my thing - at some point I’ll rebuild it and enjoy it for what it is.

I’ll attach a few photos, it was a rolling frame when I bought it (last pic) I was still at school at the time, saved up my paper round money to buy it. Everything else was in cardboard boxes including the engine in pieces.

Regards,

Dave

2810795A-7984-47FE-B5E6-569778DFC32E.jpeg

3D673073-7715-4A83-8D4A-E929A0EB67A6.jpeg

F262733B-A14E-4ADF-BD6F-4DD061113D61.jpeg

4DB567B7-63D5-46DA-9223-D7DEDAF2BF9F.jpeg

image.jpg

Dave the extra length to the mudguards, the center stand and non folding foot rests are also part of its civilianization. I think it would be nice to follow the guidelines on here:-   http://simplywizard.co.uk/folders/level3/ml.htm (Shiny Black or Maroon) with correct transfers from https://classictransfers.co.uk/ and enjoy the restoration and do justice to those wet and cold days on your paper round. Ron 

Edited by Ron