SCWS and WD on different folding chairs.

BobNotTed

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @BobNotTed

Sorry, only just seen your message.

SCWS is the maker, the Scottish Cooperative Wholesale Society. More details here:

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Scottish_Co-operative_Wholesale_Society_(SCWS)

The second one is a 'Queen's Crown', WD stands for War Department. More details here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Department_(United_Kingdom)

As you can see, this became the Ministry of Defence (Less warlike!) in 1962, so the chair was probably made between 1952 and 1964.

Best Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Le Prof said:

The second one is a 'Queen's Crown'

It is tempting to think that but I believe that is a Scottish Crown. This would fit with George VI & SCWS.

PS Sorry I misread that, when I jumped in I thought you were referring to the first crown which looked a bit Queen like.

• Like 2

Hi Clive @fv1609

Thanks for the thought.

I think the OP has two different chairs. The inset photo with a WD underneath is certainly a 'Queen's Crown'.

The SCWS 1943 one is an unusual crown, I agree. I expected to see a 'King's Crown', which is not really similar to that.

Having just looked at a 'Scottish Crown', yes, I see your point. That would make it quite unusual, I think? I certainly can't remember another bit of equipment with it on.

Best Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, it's two different chairs.

I have since discovered that there was a manufacturer of folding chairs around this era known as Walker & Dean  (I think that's the correct spelling) which manufactured chairs for government/council departments. I had wondered if perhaps WD stood for this?

Edited by BobNotTed

If there was a Broad Arrow/Pheon/Crow's Foot signifying Government property that was on an item that was desirable to steal it would in close proximity to the WD mark.

But a crown on timber or metal can equally signify this ownership: "The name of Her Majesty, her predecessors, her heirs  or successors, or any public department, or any branch thereof, or the broad arrow, or a crown, or Her Majesty's arms, whether such broad arrow, crown, or arms be alone or be in combination with any such name as aforesaid, or with any letters denoting any such name."

• Like 2