Restoration 3 - 1943 James ML

flyingfleasteve

On 5/22/2020 at 8:04 PM, Ron said:

It must be Steve. They wouldn't expect you to strip the mudguard to fix a tyre in the field. Ron

ML17 Lightweights 277.JPG

Ron, may I ask the approximate distance between the centres of the real light fixing bolts and rear base of the mudguard?

This is something I will need to drill.

Thank you!

Perfect! 

Much appreciated, I am currently just working on the tin wear.........

Although prepping each item by hand, before paint, is time consuming, its great when you uncover the original olive drab in mass........I must say that darn black paint was a nightmare to remove, almost oily in its finish!

E7C7C90E-DA8A-4C12-AACD-C6B310510D1A.thumb.jpeg.0318caf7ebc3284ad7c5843febe288dd.jpeg

CB7D521D-2E99-4E29-B19E-4361F01B50E2.jpeg

09C891FC-A3D4-4850-96CE-556667A7533C.jpeg

On 5/27/2020 at 9:13 PM, flyingfleasteve said:

I am furiously looking for the correct decompression lever so I can start piecing together the handle bar set up, but the search continues.....

Before I found my original decompressor I bought a similar looking trigger which I filed to shape, and handlebar clamp and started to make a reasonable look alike. (It's slightly bigger than a genuine James lever)  I can't remember what I paid for the parts but if it's any good as a temp? ......A tenner plus post. Ron

DSCF2919.jpg

DSCF2920.jpg

Edited by Ron

8 hours ago, Ron said:

Before I found my original decompressor I bought a similar looking trigger which I filed to shape, and handlebar clamp and started to make a reasonable look alike. (It's slightly bigger than a genuine James lever)  I can't remember what I paid for the parts but if it's any good as a temp? ......A tenner plus post. Ron

DSCF2919.jpg

DSCF2920.jpg

Hi Ron.

Thats Great, much appreciated, il take you up on your offer, il drop you an email, thanks again!

Steve I think you'll find that is the timing mark. There should be a corresponding line on the brass magneto drum. But don't rely on the marks as your mag might have come off another model over the years.  Ron  

Well the seat frame on mine is black but in view of the way James seemed to spray nearly everything. I'd say it should be service colour. If you compare the blackout mask on this picture with what you can see of the saddle frame....It's definitely different.(so not black to my eyes).

I think the saddles and cover were made by Mansfield, which is academic really. It's just a case of finding the best Rexene (good luck) or look alike around.  Ron   

MLJames..jpg

Hi Ron.

I would agree with you, the seat frame looks different in colour to the black out mask, more like the service colour. I have just dug this seat cover out , forgot I even had it! I was originally from a Flea if I recall, a little brittle in places but maybe salvageable? I am sure it’s Mansfield (I took the badge from it many moons ago)

5F469552-FADF-4A1E-87B1-18E9F8816447.jpeg

F9EC47BD-5BD7-4711-BCFE-9C3ADDD23F1B.jpeg

That’s great, maybe I can make use of this. Is it best I leave it in ‘as seen’ condition or does anyone have any recommendations on any ‘treatment’ I can undertake to make it a little less brittle? It will not be getting much use but it would be great if it looked the part!

Hi Gents!

So the engine assembly is going well but Its generated a small query. In my James maintenance manual and instruction book on page 15 it shows a spacer between the two main crank bearings (item 34) on the drive side of the engine. This part was not in situ when I stripped the engine. I am just wondering if anyone can shed more light onto this spacer, please size/thickness/material?

thank you all!

4E207A65-DD9E-4636-AA0B-88926597D61A.jpeg

FF5DC356-47AA-474B-B191-C071C5FADE07.jpeg

1CEC579A-DB8C-411E-A211-C6ECBFE74FB6.jpeg

A42CA9E1-E6F4-4CF7-B658-EE5D17D790D0.jpeg

Thanks Ron. Good idea! 

I will give them a call now.

On a slightly different note I have dug out what I believe is the original saddle and springs. The saddle springs are 4” long, may I ask if that sounds about right unfortunately it does not refer to a length in the parts book, but they certainly look correct?

Thank you in anticipation!

6FE2DE71-8E40-4FD8-A025-A1114B7354B0.jpeg

Yes Steve, my springs are also 4". long. Ron

PS I notice some pictures show the barrel shaped springs like yours and some have the cylindrical type like mine.

MLDSCF2711.jpg

ML DSC03000 (002).jpg

MLlarge_000000.jpg

Edited by Ron

Thanks Ron. That’s a great help!

I must say your James ML looks fantastic! 

I have noticed for the images the steel cable ties and steel clips on the rear mudguard supporting the rear light cable, may I ask where you sourced them? 

I always hold my breath when I see original period photos of bike, just in case it’s mine!

Steve, your saddle and cover appear to be correct for both the Flea and the James.......

The clue with the Mansfield saddle cover is the pair of front securing tab rivets that are placed high away from the lower edge of the saddle cover to fit the frame "step" at the front.......it may well be worth getting the missing rear-edge strip replaced if you can, either by a saddler or done at home using a strong adhesive and clamps.....

My Flea and both ML's have the original covers still in place....they're a bit scruffy but I like the wear and look of them ! Slight scuffing can be touched up with a suitable paint.....

You could also look at having your original cover copied by R K Leighton (on line) in the Midlands.......

Note that the original covers had a small brass nameplate on the back strip riveted on, infilled with black enamel.......it states "Mansfield" with "Made in England" beneath.........you can't get hold of these now even as copies but it is worth looking at Ebay, etc, for a suitable Mansfield-make bicycle saddle that may carry the same nameplate........!!!

Some good points about the saddles Steve, these little nuggets get stored for future reference👍

You've mentioned before about the springs, but both my Flea and ML have the straight type. I have a spare pair of barrel shaped springs which I was about to fit to my ML. But as I study pictures, I'm convinced that they used both types? Whether it was at random or in batches of what ever came in to the factory is a mystery to me.

In fact as I expand the picture with rows of Fleas, the first bike appears to have straight springs and the one behind looks like barrel springs?  Ron

F2ijnp1c.jpg_zpsjqzveowm (2).png

F002_zpsl4spjmep (3).jpg

Fre%2003 (2).jpg

ML DSC03000 (4).jpg

Hi Guys so the missing engine parts are now on order with Villiers services. Steve thanks for the insight into the saddle cover, much appreciated. Funny Ron you should mention the saddle spring shapes, my flea has straight saddle springs fitted, I cannot verify if they are original however.

This weekend has been a busy one with the rebuild, the hubs are both now removed from the incorrect rims and prepared for paint.

Interestingly both the from and rear hub started life in Olive drab livery but then painted service brown......?

CA986D39-8C8C-4793-9CCD-EAAA29C2C2E2.jpeg

3985D59A-8022-431B-B1B6-F8A0F51F71E3.jpeg

16E4CEE9-2C3E-4EF3-8452-F4D66CB30FB4.jpeg