"Chassis, etc SOLID"

matchlesswdg3

In searching for a decent vehicle to buy, how often do you come across the above description? Its one of my pet hates and I wish owners would not use the term "solid" to describe the condition of the underpinnings. What does it mean? Solid metal? Solid rust? Yes, the bits you can see ARE solid or you cannot see them! Its open to abuse for sure and in my experience IS often abused. An honest factual description would be welcome and if the state of chassis, etc really needs investigation by potential buyers, say so! In the meantime, I just interpret "solid" as "quite possibly riddled with rot - beware". Its often interesting to check out the MoT history (if available, and only up to a couple of years ago in most cases now) of a prospective purchase to find vehicles described as exemplary have a murky past! Caveat emptor, etc, but I wonder how many new entrants to the hobby are caught out by a first purchase that turns out to be an unroadworthy (and hence illegal and uninsurable) rotbox; which is now more likely since MoT's are a thing of the past for all but the newfangled MVs.

• Like 1