Great Dorset Steam fair 2020 CANCELLED

GDSF always has a large military vehicle entry, and a magnificent WW1 display,  but for them to make the decision Now to cancel an August bank holiday show, the situation is Not looking good for All other Shows/events this summer, .

Edited by Nick Johns

That is a shame, but I suppose if it is nice that week I could park my Land Rover in the field, throw some dust over it, throw some straw over myself & get my wife to come along & ask me silly questions?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I don't think that there will be any shows or large events this year, I was told today that all Somerset carnivals have been cancelled. It's only a matter of time before War and Peace is cancelled, they are probably loathe to pay back all that entry money.

Let's just hope that next year will be back to some resemblance of normality.

1 hour ago, johnwardle said:

It's only a matter of time before War and Peace is cancelled, they are probably loathe to pay back all that entry money.

They don’t need to, the terms and conditions says no refunds.

6 minutes ago, rambo1969 said:

If they don't issue refunds, I reckon that could be the final nail in the coffin for w+p.

I know I’m hijacking the Dorset thread, but here’s the wording:

63BE55E1-8ECA-438F-8C50-83B75859E234.jpeg

Maybe they’ll carry the tickets over to next year.

1 hour ago, rambo1969 said:

If they don't issue refunds, I reckon that could be the final nail in the coffin for w+p.

I've just read their T&Cs, and they state; "If the show is cancelled for any reason the organisers shall not be under any liability whatsoever in respect of any booking or trade stand fees. Exhibitors are advised to take out their own insurance for such an eventuality"

So unless you have insurance to cover cancellation (how many have) you can wave bye bye to you booking in fee.

Edited by johnwardle
Editing

GDSF have taken payments from the public for camping but are offering a carry-over to 2021 or a refund.

WPR still seems to be off line, it will be interesting to see if the same sense of fair play exists at least as far a carry-over to 2021 goes. If it does not it will generate a vast amount of ill feeling & a suspicion that even swallowing your loss for this year, could they ever be trusted again should you decide to pay again for next year if some no refund cancellation occurred again?

A scenario could be a few enthusiastic & trusting exhibitors paying again to enter next year, for the organisers to realise there has been such a breakdown in trust, that they have relatively few entrants that it is no longer viable to run it again next year & those trusting exhibitors get stung a second time?

Such a cycle of mistrust would be the end of the event & nobody wins.

On 4/28/2020 at 10:45 AM, fv1609 said:

GDSF have taken payments from the public for camping but are offering a carry-over to 2021 or a refund.

WPR still seems to be off line, it will be interesting to see if the same sense of fair play exists at least as far a carry-over to 2021 goes. If it does not it will generate a vast amount of ill feeling & a suspicion that even swallowing your loss for this year, could they ever be trusted again should you decide to pay again for next year if some no refund cancellation occurred again?

A scenario could be a few enthusiastic & trusting exhibitors paying again to enter next year, for the organisers to realise there has been such a breakdown in trust, that they have relatively few entrants that it is no longer viable to run it again next year & those trusting exhibitors get stung a second time?

Totally agree with you Clive.  They can only survive so long on those that see it as a cheap weeks holiday, it lost its charm when the 'new' owners took over.

Glad the GDSF have had the sense to make the call now - for me it's the best show in the UK 🙂

On 4/28/2020 at 10:45 AM, fv1609 said:

I phoned the W&P Office a few days ago, suprising someone answered, even more of a surprise it was Anne Bertrand the Co-Owner of W&P revival show,  we spoke at length and found Her charming and very helpfull. we discussed the possible show cancellation situation and She told me they are waiting for Government decision that if social distance restrictions need to continue  into/beyond July then they would Not be allowed to open the show, they are Insured against such eventualities, but cast doubt if they would get fully compensated, but Ann Assured me  Everyone who has paid Will be  Refunded anyway....I even spoke to John Allinson too, so rather than speculate, just pick up the phone and speak to the show owners yourself, ..not many events you can ever do that to.

---------------------------

......The very successfull Capel Military Vehicle Show nr. Dorking Surrey July 5/6th  has been Postponed untill September........

Edited by Nick Johns
  • Thanks 2