RAF Royal Enfield

Ron

Doing a Tom cross over forums hear!😉

I was not aware that any WW2 RAF serial numbers have survived? But since young Tom acquired the serial number for his Norton and passed on the contact details to me I made inquiries about my RAF WD/CO. The guy has access to post war key cards from 1949. So only vehicles still in service with the RAF at that time are listed.....Tom was lucky!! 

My Royal Enfield is not listed so obviously demobbed before 49. However, he did find a CO with the next frame number after mine, although it is far from certain that the Enfield's where given serial numbers in sequence of frame numbers. So our best guess is to allot the previous serial number, which will be much closer that the made up number it currently wears. 

I think we only have one original picture of a CO marked up with the RAF and it appears to have the standard RE font as used on all their models. 

So my challenge now is to re-spray my tank and fit the new (correct ?) number and transfers (Already in stock). 
My main concern is to save the roundels that were hand painted several years ago by a dear departed 80 year old sign writer friend.....Squares are easy to mask up:thinking_face: Ron 

RAF DSC03387.jpg

DSCF2718.jpg

Awesome Ron was wondering how you were getting on with the enquiry :) great to see another Raf one being worked on. Yep I still can't belive how lucky I was some things are meant to be I guess. Interestingly there was a batch either side of mine as well Ron think it was 3 one side and 5 the other of my number. They were actually running in sequence so I don't think it'd be that far fetched for Royal Enfield to have done the same when the Raf marked them up. Couldn't see them working differently for different Marques.

I'll have to have a hunt though all the Raf bike pics ive hunted out Ron an see if there are any RE ones.

The material Sarah at axholme did the masks for the roundels might be a shout but I'm not sure how long you could leave them on very low tack though.

OK I've seen the liquid masking stuff on Google. I've already bought a roll of Tamiya 3mm tape. So I'll see if I can apply that successfully first. Other wise I'll order some liquid........But then that requires a sign writers steady hand😕  Ron

• Like 1

The number stenciling is done. Using the correct RE font for the RAF number that Jan researched and available from "Axholme Signs".  Just waiting for the postman to deliver my roundel stencils...Ron

DSCF2736 (1).jpg

DSCF2741.jpg

• Like 1

You could be right Gary, although I'm not sure that is an original WW2 picture? The factories had professional sign writers although Royal Enfield used pre made transfers for their census numbers........However, what happened in workshops or the 'field' is probably a different matter.☺️ Ron 

Thanks Gary. Any idea where this is? Are those ladies Dutch?

What I was focused on, was the china bowl on his bonnet, which reminds me of the little paper sticks of sugar that is normal in cafe's nowadays?  Ron 

It's on Facebook - a page called 'Colourised - PIECE of JAKE'.

The caption for this one is:

"An RAF sergeant shares an alfresco lunch with two Dutch women in traditional costumes at Nieuw- and St. Joosland, near Middelburg, soon after the town had been liberated by Allied forces, November 1944".

HTH