J60 engine earth

Cornishbloke

Hi Chris

Many thanks  - I don't have anything like that.  I do have an earth strap that goes from the block back to the starter motor - is this correct?  I can't find an attaching point on the hull near the alternator other than the bulkhead fixing bolts.  There is a small threaded hole on the bulkhead on the engine side behind the alternator belt tensioner, would this serve the purpose?

Cheers

Richard

Hi Chris

That's substantial!  I've nothing like that at all, nor have I had since owning the vehicle.  I've used an earth strap and passed it from the front of the engine to a bolt I've drilled and tapped into the sponson between the air filter and the alternator.  I'm hoping that this will be enough to cure a slight problem I've had with it earthing through the throttle return spring.

Many thanks for your help

Richard

I'm not sure if it's relevant to the J60, but the engines used in the series XJ6's were subject to corrosion in the head/block studs if the earth was not connected to the correct position.

Certain studs would corrode away in the block and fail, I've had this on an engine from a series 2  4.2.

I am no expert but am sure some on here will know more or better.

I effect, if the earth is not substantial enough and in the correct position there can be long term problems. 

Iain

When we were shopping for a J60 to put in our Fox we went to a shed with literally hundreds of them, stacked 2 in a stillage, there must have been over 100 stillages. We were there for several hours before we managed to pick out 5 which didn’t have holes in the side. The 3 in the photo were the ones we ended up with, 2 were seized and one went in the Fox.

I’ve never blown one up, but the photo below was taken at Folkestone a few years ago, the engine was in a Sabre at the time.

ACFE8126-45C6-4435-93EF-856BDA579322.jpeg

7 hours ago, Richard Farrant said:

Iain,

I don't think J60 engines were in a vehicle long enough to corrode! We were for ever pulling out engines from CVR(T) and CVR(W) Fox. Seen some monumental damage to them.

Haha, so not many long term problems...

I don't suppose many spent tens of years running in armoured vehicles running up hundreds of thousands of miles. Be nice if they could..

Iain