Stug IV at AAAM

draganm

On 4/13/2020 at 11:32 AM, Pzkpfw-e said:

A real "Bitsa". Composed of Panzer IV, Stug III & IV parts, with a modern engine & gearbox.

A real Bitsa thats a bit harsh 

In WW2 The Germans did use Pz IV and stug III parts to make stug IVs thats how they made Stug IVs no other way

• Like 1

S

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 11:32 AM, Pzkpfw-e said:

A real "Bitsa". Composed of Panzer IV, Stug III & IV parts, with a modern engine & gearbox.

Still very nice and looks like a well done project, lets just hope that they are honest regarding what it actually is unlike some others.

Jon

• Like 1

I believe that just a few years ago there were no examples of StuG IV in existance, and now apparently five, thats great and good to know.

Calling it a "bitsa" is unfriendly,  does anyone expect to find 80/90/100% complete German tanks just sitting around, slightly rusted for somebody to find.  Reconstruction is a major part of any collection and AAAH are doing a fine job and ought to be congratulated.

And whatever mechanicals are used to power this vehicle is fine by me.

cheers lennard

Edited by paul hocking
  • Like 2

I recently joined a French Facebook group called barn finds, there are the odd modern day find but the majority of the content is scanned in old photos from the 1980s and 90s.  The quantity and quality of wartime German vehicles or part there of found is incredible!  We all tend to forget that that was basically 30 years ago and today people can only dream of those kind of finds.  Very occasionally one may locate an original 'lost' vehicle but its very unlikely today.  At the very least you will not be finding one which was dragged off the battlefield by the farmer and it still stored in his barn.  Sadly its because the guys who did such hording have now passed away and the hoards already dispersed.

Where hoards still exist, unless the owner has the ability to store vehicles correctly time has not been kind to the steel work.  I've seen Loyds which have been outside in yards for 40 years with 1/4" plate chassis which have completely disintegrated!

• 4 months later...

In the Australian video (https://streamable.com/4z655h) I noticed something that has been on my mind for a very long time... It looks as if there are lots and lots of weld beads on the armor of this tank. I have seen similar weld bead areas on other tanks as well. Can anybody explain me the function of these beads please...? 🤔

Cheers,

Jan

1 hour ago, rewdco said:

In the Australian video (https://streamable.com/4z655h) I noticed something that has been on my mind for a very long time... It looks as if there are lots and lots of weld beads on the armor of this tank. I have seen similar weld bead areas on other tanks as well. Can anybody explain me the function of these beads please...? 🤔

Cheers,

Jan

Those are not weld beads, what you can see is a coating called “Zimmerit”, intended to stop magnetic charges sticking to the armour.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zimmerit