Welbike bits

Red Rimshot

Hello, my young son (19) has just purchased an original Mk1 1942 Welbike. Owned by a soldier since his demob !!! Now passed away. 

The seller might yet find the missing bits, but does anyone have the following parts just in case :

Forks, front wheel, petrol tanks. 

Thanks in advance, Kingsley 

Hi .

I would suggest you have a look at welbike UK Ltd ...welbikeuk.com...they appear to have all the parts you need . You may be tempted with cheaper Indian spares but experience has shown these are often poor quality .

Welbikes are highly sought after and very expensive for their size ..so worth investing in.

Please share some photos with the forum .

Jenkinov

This must be this one that just sold for 7 Grand on Ebay #1170.

Like Jenk said. The only go to firm for correct repro parts is http://www.welbikeuk.com/about.php ......Not cheap though!

And mine #555 which I restored 22-23 years ago.   

There is an excellent book by Peter Miller if you haven't come across it yet "From Welbike to Corgi"

Can provide Peters contact if you want it. (PM me)   Ron

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Lightweights 317.JPG

Edited by Ron

Hello all, yes it's the 7k one. The seller might have the missing parts yet, so fingers crossed. 

Yes, I'm aware of welbike UK, there's also Parkwood Mtrs - anyone know about them ??? I asked in case anyone had original, used parts. Seems a shame to put new parts on it. 

Incidentally, my welbike is No. 331 which is about 316 in at the beginning of the first batch, and Alfie's is about 330 from the end of the first batch. 

Yes I know Parkwood, who makes lots of cheap repro parts.( friend of Andy Tiernan) See him regularly at Kempton and Shepton jumbles....He once made 2 or 3 complete repro Welbikes.

I can't think you would ever find original tanks......Except on another bike?   Would be nice if Alfie runs a photographic restoration thread with pictures on here.

Regards Ron

Peter Miller's son Richard spent a lot of time in India and found a few Welbike's and Parabikes. 

I paid Richard £2,200 for mine which was well over 20 years ago.......Although the deal was, for another £100 he threw in a restoration Parabike. 

Peter and Richard live local to me and good job I made friends with them, as on one of Richards trips to India, he also found me an original (restoration) sidecar body for my Norton Big 4👍  Ron

20200410_085050.jpg

A few years ago a chap from z village near me asked me for a valuation of his late father's Jeep, as it was not original, BMC B series engine and gearbox for a start, I gave him a valuation of £7,000, then asked him about the Welbike that his father owned. He was surprised that I asked about the Welbike as he thought that as it was unrestored it wouldn't be worth more than £1,000! He went on to sell it for nearly £5,000. Just goes to show that some people don't know the value of things they inherit.

Hello, yes that's true. A rusty old welbike found in a garage is one of those items most people wouldn't think is worth anything and ends up at the tip. Even today I think it might happen. Although with eBay and people assuming old = money its not so likely. I suppose a plus point for eBay.

Thanks, Kings