Schützenpanzer HS 30

I am looking for any form of manual or explanation notes for a Shutzenpanzer HS 30. I am trying to remove the engine, gearbox and steering unit. It is a rear access vehicle, the back end comes off to access engine etc, i am trying to find the correct way of doing this, does anyone out there know ? anybody have any experience with such things. eg. How do i de-tension the track ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated ?

Right. There are only two possible methods employed for track tensioning. 

Mechanical, or Hydraulic ( Grease) Now, of the rear idler wheel. There must be a Ram of some sort? Either connected by a cylinder, that has a grease nipple on it. Or a Hand operated tensioning screwed device. I have never worked on an HS30. But I suspect it is hydraulic?  If you trace the ram that is attached to the idler back. It must lead to a cylinder with this nipple on it?

Either unscrewing the nipple, or a nearby mounted pressure release screw. Would allow the grease to flow out under pressure from the track weight on the Idler wheel.  That is the Principle of how they work in a nutshell!  Mechanical is simple also, udo the locknut, & back off the adjuster.  Some close up photo's of the mech would be helpful?

1 hour ago, daleheywoodtanks said:

Thank you for your reply.

it is nothing like the 432 or CVRT setup, which I have done plenty of, it is a self tensioning setup, but I can’t figure it out yet. I will be working on it today so I will take some more detailed pics.

the second time I do it will be easy !

Dale, Right. In that case. You could try supporting the idler wheel assembly & jack it up to relive track tension. To see how it operates perhaps?

Looking at the photo for a bit. you could try fitting a chain to the roadwheel axle in front. & through a pair of the holes in the idler wheel. Winch the two together & it will compress the adjuster assembly. perhaps enough to enable the track to be spilt & removed. Then slowly release the tension until all pressure is off. That might enable you to see exactly how the mech operates?.

Just another way of looking at it?

3 hours ago, daleheywoodtanks said:

The large nut on this ram is the the only form of mechanical pressure I can see. 

DAABE5DF-CA2E-4FC8-A838-567792C6FEED.jpeg

Appears to have a locknut & an adjuster at each end of that assembly? The cylindrical unit bolted to the Hull. LOOKS like a shock absorber, similar to the CVR(T) versions? Dosent appear to give much adjustment? But, the thread is coarse so when wound fully in. & the track held with claw retention tool. Fitting the end figure of 8 pin retainers should be easy enough? When done, only a small amount of adjustment would be needed? I guess only when the track is split & the  adjuster allowed to move fully to rest. Will you be able to see exactly how it operates?

I am guilty of overthinking, suspension should not affect the track tension when the vehicle is sitting on the ground. They do not appear to have a lot of adjustment as taking links out was a regular job especially on early tracks. Slackening that adjuster rod should give you some track slack.

Hi Dale,

That Shutzenpanzer HS 30 looks in superb condition, road wheels and track look almost new.

Maybe after  lunch and you have track off, engine, box and steering unit out a couple of pictures woudl be fun, and as you will have so much time how about a little of the history?