Thornycroft Nubian mk5 Restoration.

Kyle_b

Thought I’d post up a picture of my Nubian fire tender. 

I believe now the oldest in existence! With only 3 or 4 surviving now. 

im sure I’ll be trying to pick your brains regarding the restoration and getting her back on the road. 

21232AD5-6256-4956-A1AA-2BABD6FDD1E1.jpeg

61D60C03-9EDB-41A5-9796-0A12AED37AF9.jpeg

129A31C4-BC9C-45D0-B5E8-FE80161A21A2.jpeg

• Like 4

Hi

Great vehicle. You say it is the oldest, do you have chassis or service number, please?
I would expect you know that your first port of call is the very helpful team at the RAF Fire-fighting Museum, now in Normanby Enterprise Park, Scunthorpe. They have two of these Mark 5s there, 43 AF 31 and 38 AF 36 which they are restoring. The Geddington Volunteer Fire Brigade also run “Lady Eleanor”, a fully working example of the Mk5.

Probably a very bad time to mention it, but the Museum is in desperate need of funds to keep their 36 fire appliances together, currently they have a great location, but only with the very kind help of North Lincolnshire Council who see the value in the project.

Have to agree with MIKES on the style and functionality comment, trucks in those days were just so much more interesting.

Watch out for a feature on British Airport Fire Appliances coming up in Heritage Commercial Vehicles Magazine sometime after the June issue.   

Good luck,

Mike.

7 hours ago, FV1604A said:

Hi

Great vehicle. You say it is the oldest, do you have chassis or service number, please?
I would expect you know that your first port of call is the very helpful team at the RAF Fire-fighting Museum, now in Normanby Enterprise Park, Scunthorpe. They have two of these Mark 5s there, 43 AF 31 and 38 AF 36 which they are restoring. The Geddington Volunteer Fire Brigade also run “Lady Eleanor”, a fully working example of the Mk5.

Probably a very bad time to mention it, but the Museum is in desperate need of funds to keep their 36 fire appliances together, currently they have a great location, but only with the very kind help of North Lincolnshire Council who see the value in the project.

Have to agree with MIKES on the style and functionality comment, trucks in those days were just so much more interesting.

Watch out for a feature on British Airport Fire Appliances coming up in Heritage Commercial Vehicles Magazine sometime after the June issue.   

Good luck,

Mike.

Hello mike! I’ll go grab the chassis number tomorrow! I’d like to ask how current your information is? As mine is 38 AF 36? 

ahh brilliant info thanks 😊 

12 hours ago, MIKES said:

Beautiful looking vehicle. Built when manufacturers used style and functionality in equal amounts unlike modern sole-less vehicles.  

Thanks! I agree! The workmanship and build quality is amazing! I real piece of history.

11 minutes ago, Kyle_b said:

Thanks! I agree! The workmanship and build quality is amazing! I real piece of history.

Hi Kyle,

You will like to see this video of the RAF Firefighting Museum, the Mk5's are seen in it.

Some years ago when Steve Shirley started the collection at RAF Manston, I was involved with two fire engine restorations for him.

• Like 2

Hi Kyle,

I think that you may find that we are talking about the same vehicle as it was listed in their manifest a couple of years ago and I see from the new video that they have a possible replacement as they still have two. ( I am guessing, but this may be 37 RNM retrieved from Mains Yard ten years or so ago, but this is a guess!) Thanks for posting their new RAFFFM video, Richard, I haven't seen the new place yet, only having visited their old base at RAF Scampton on two occasions.

Again, good luck with the restoration.

Mike.

On 4/2/2020 at 9:54 AM, FV1604A said:

Hi Kyle,

I think that you may find that we are talking about the same vehicle as it was listed in their manifest a couple of years ago and I see from the new video that they have a possible replacement as they still have two. ( I am guessing, but this may be 37 RNM retrieved from Mains Yard ten years or so ago, but this is a guess!) Thanks for posting their new RAFFFM video, Richard, I haven't seen the new place yet, only having visited their old base at RAF Scampton on two occasions.

Again, good luck with the restoration.

Mike.

Edited by Kyle_b

Today I’ve been making some bits. Some original and some not. 

here’s a side light bracket I was missing. 

MtRZHJB.jpg

and then with the replica for the near side. 

UgGyUuJ.jpg

gJWHFQl.jpg

i was also missing a fuel filler which was looking hard to get hold of at the moment and with the test drive up the yard I thought was needed, so I knocked this up! It’s nothing like the original but will do the job all the same! 

Before.

WBb8YFU.jpg

6dnsWm5.jpg
After.

E5HwjmE.jpg

R4oqMd9.jpg

nIGgTo2.jpg

G9g9qhS.jpg

Acw4GtM.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/1/2020 at 4:29 PM, Zero-Five-Two said:

Is he walking behind to pick up any bits that fall off, then?

Seriously though, good to see it moving. 👍 Bet you're well pleased. Take it you've got the carburetter issue sorted

Haha yeah he was! Cheers! Yeah I did in the end, managed to get the parts I need brand new of a guy on eBay! Very lucky! Just need to wire up the lights and swap two tires and she’s ready for the open road! 

• 4 months later...

Anyone know whats happened to 37 RNM, I was sent photos of it 4 or 5 years ago stored in a barn. I was looking for a aux. gearbox for my TFA Nubian at the time . I'm a member of the Thornycroft Society and we have most of the build records, if you give me the chassis No. I'll see if we have the build sheet for it.

Tips for restoration:- Brakes, check condition of piping, Thorny's used steel piping on some vehicles the Lockheed wheel cylinders can also be troublesome. 

Check the engine cooling system, it's most likely full of sludge and rust, take the inspection doors off and flush it out.  

• 1 year later...