Tool hunt

john1950

Nice photo John!  I also have an (enormous) adjustable in the boot of my car as part of my "scrapyard salvage" toolkit.  It's easier than carrying around the 1-1/2" open-ended spanners and similar needed for hydraulic unions and the like.  Provided it's realised they are an emergency/get you out of trouble aid, that's fine!  🙂

Andy 

20 hours ago, Scrunt & Farthing said:

I am equally convinced that the number of tools, of the same size, shape and form is directly proportional to the number of sheds you have.  It is a truism that a tool will always be hiding in a different shed to the one you are actually in, and where the tool is needed.  It thus follows that you must acquire more tools of the same size/shape/form to counteract this effect.  But there lies folly - it  only exacerbates the phenomenon.  The adjustable spanner is like cooking lager (or Fosters as it badged locally) - whilst unpalatable, it serves a purpose.

I may christen this law "Scrunt & Fathings' Law of Walking Back and Forth betwixt sheds"

Dave(S&F)

Absolutely correct. Add to that tool boxes on tractors and plant  and still when you need a particular tool, it's not there. The wander about  checking tool storage in different sheds  storing gear can be gainful often finding the item you were looking for a few days ago. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Scrunt & Farthing said:

I am equally convinced that the number of tools, of the same size, shape and form is directly proportional to the number of sheds you have.  It is a truism that a tool will always be hiding in a different shed to the one you are actually in, and where the tool is needed.  It thus follows that you must acquire more tools of the same size/shape/form to counteract this effect.  But there lies folly - it  only exacerbates the phenomenon.  The adjustable spanner is like cooking lager (or Fosters as it badged locally) - whilst unpalatable, it serves a purpose.

I may christen this law "Scrunt & Fathings' Law of Walking Back and Forth betwixt sheds"

Dave(S&F)

You also forgot "its not where I left it"

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

When they used beryllium in the mix for brake discs they found the resulting brake dust was poisonous. It's a variation in the toolbox. I would like to bet it would have been better than they had in Staffordshire in 44.

Edited by john1950
addition

I have 2 or 3  beryllium copper combi spanners in handy sizes but hardly use them, the ring & jaw sizes are a bit clumpy in comparison to CV steel. Earlier this year I purchased a BC lump hammer 1kg with a 14" handle , absolute fraction £ of the full price, the Ebay seller had a few , by time I decided to purchase another they had all gone !     Bit harder than a Thor No.2 copper but softer than a proper builders lump hammer , handy for knocking tight brake disc off that you wish o re-use.

• 1 month later...