MOT's exempt for 6 months as test stations may close

Nick Johns

I can see the logic of the extra 6 months now but how are the MOT centres going to cope with having what would have been April's testing now due in October and the vehicles that are due annually in October? Perhaps I have missed something, and for the next 12 months all MOTs will be extended. 

Just a thought - if we are still under lockdown later this year when my lightweight needs its last MOT before its exempt on 1st Jan 2021 then I suppose I just proceed straight to exemption, if god forbid the situation is not back to normal by Christmas!!!!

4 hours ago, LarryH57 said:

Just a thought - if we are still under lockdown later this year when my lightweight needs its last MOT before its exempt on 1st Jan 2021 then I suppose I just proceed straight to exemption, if god forbid the situation is not back to normal by Christmas!!!!

Not unless they make a further change to the interim rules.  As things stand, vehicles making the transition to vehicle of historic interest require a valid MoT in order to complete the paperwork.  I have fallen into the same pit.  My Lightweight is currently on SORN and I was going to get an MoT in this last fortnight in order for it to have a current one for registering it as a VHI which, as a 1979 model it was entitled to be from 1st April.  Unfortunately, I missed the boat- my local MoT centres are not accepting non-vital vehicles (which mine clearly isn't)  for the forseeable future.  So, it'll have to wait, which will be a shame as I'll miss the good weather.  But, as we aren't allowed to make non-essential journeys anyway, I suppose nothing has been lost.   But, as I understand things, exemptions come on 1 April each year, not 1 January - hence my 1979 model only becoming eligible on 1 April this year.

On 3/27/2020 at 8:33 AM, andym said:

Ditto for HGVs - my RB44 was due for a test on 6 April.

Andy

Andy,

Don't know if you're aware, HGVs are three months, not six