Source needed for parts

Surveyor

Question

I was taking the 110 to the Garage for the MoT today and the cover of the ATU box started flapping. Stopping to check I noted that only the top have the wire retaining clips holding the catches closed.

Looking around I need another 4, any one know the correct name as mechanically an idiot? so I can hunt for them

Thanks in advance

Richard

IMG_20200307_101023.jpg

Edited by Surveyor

14 answers to this question

13 minutes ago, radiomike7 said:

Essentially a linch pin, there are several different types of locking methods, I have seen these on Hollebone adaptors.

Thanks will start looking for that, new a cotter pin was wrong, I have seen linch pins as on the Penman trailer they were a straight pin with a round ring on them

Well - I would not call them a Linch pin ,  actually I would say they are a Fokker .

I recently had the same sourcing problem for identical application.   Genuine ones are plated , if it were cadmium - then they would probably not rust through - the real ones are the real Fokkers ,,.

It depends - do you wish to be a rivet-counter  ??

Possibly you should buy a stash of Stainless Steel ones , dimension wise the same , even mirror bright (not distressed) IMHO better than rusted split-pins  , so often seen in service & demob..

------------------------

I would suggest you eyeball the  GS Products web site

https://www.google.com/search?q=fokker+pin&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b

Well ,  I have my notes here - from when I used my Moore & Shite  0-1"  and genuine Starrett (Jedburgh)  6"  ruler of glare-resistant chrome finish  ,  also Zeus tables (all equipment purchased 1965) however - be aware I need to go to SpecSavers

Rod  dia.  2.25mm

Length  45mm

Max. O'all length  55mm

Internal of helicoil  10mm

Closed   15mm

Open   20mm

A civil surveyor should be able to decipher a engineer surveyor's notes  LoL

2 minutes ago, ruxy said:

Well ,  I have my notes here - from when I used my Moore & Shite  0-1"  and genuine Starrett (Jedburgh)  6"  ruler of glare-resistant chrome finish  ,  also Zeus tables (all equipment purchased 1965) however - be aware I need to go to SpecSavers

Rod  dia.  2.25mm

Length  45mm

Max. O'all length  55mm

Internal of helicoil  10mm

Closed   15mm

Open   20mm

A civil surveyor should be able to decipher a engineer surveyor's notes  LoL

Many thanks for this

ISTR that with  GS  , you need to settle on 2mm rod dia.  the rest of the dims. are as near as dam for the application.   I did intend to check the hole dia. to see if possible to go up in clip rod dia.  ?

https://www.gsproducts.co.uk/2mm-stainless-safety-spring/

----------------------

The originals when new are a goldish colour passivation ,  I don't think malt vinegar will touch this grade of  SS  ,  possibly drain some mix. out of a old battery will ?     Malt vinegar can give a good blackadised finish on most tool steels high in chrome.    My other idea , shot blast the pins for grip and then use a black acid etc. then green NATO

Regarding ,  "distressing"  - model makers are often the best ,   possibly Steve Carr  (Jessie the Jeep) should be consulted  ?   Or just leave bright SS / blasted mass SS  ?

I am undecided , still pondering and moving slowly on with overall Clansman project.

--------

Interestingly - when I was a apprentice I worked with a few ex-RAF fitters - this is where I learned what a Oddie fastener was.   I wonder if FOKKER clips were designed in WW1 era. for retaining aircraft panels & allowing quick release ?

Edited by ruxy
spelin

I received the ATU and they were painted then so I hope to continue the practice, but thanks for the pointers regarding trying to get them roughened before painting, think my local garage may have some of the battery acid, will give them a shout latter

20 minutes ago, Surveyor said:

I received the ATU and they were painted then so I hope to continue the practice, but thanks for the pointers regarding trying to get them roughened before painting, think my local garage may have some of the battery acid, will give them a shout latter

I  know an antique dealer who uses a fresh cow pat stirs it in a bucket with a drop of water swears by it for rapidly ageing metal