E10 Petrol on its way?

andym

1 hour ago, Mk3iain said:

Not good for older vehicles and they admit it !

Also no more lower duty on red diesel.

We of course all live in London and can use electric pods to get to the office. ย ย ๐Ÿ˜ก

To be fair, to the vast majority of people outside the military vehicle/classic car communities, it probably seems like a good idea to get old polluting cars off the road?

Andy

3 hours ago, Mk3iain said:

Also no more lower duty on red diesel.

ย 

Note the devious way he referred to it as a subsidy.

What next, a ban on oil fired central heating? Clockwork vehicles only in central London?

Fortunately they have recognized the problem with people that burn any old rubbish in a wood burner.

9 minutes ago, radiomike7 said:

Note the devious way he referred to it as a subsidy.

Its the same with LPG, its a subsidy that reduces the tax paid not a lower taxation class. Therefore they can be changed or removed at any time "reverting" to full tax same as petrol or diesel.

Central London will be OK, just spend billions more on the transport infrastructure. The rest of us will just make do.

34 minutes ago, Mk3iain said:

Its the same with LPG, its a subsidy that reduces the tax paid not a lower taxation class. Therefore they can be changed or removed at any time "reverting" to full tax same as petrol or diesel.

Central London will be OK, just spend billions more on the transport infrastructure. The rest of us will just make do.

To be totally correct we should be referring to it as duty which is currently something like 58ppl for petrol/diesel which is then taxed with VAT.ย  Red diesel/gas oil duty is circa 11ppl.

11 hours ago, Surveyor said:

Someone said to me that there is an increase in water in petrol as well, not sure how true this is

The ethanol content can absorb water from the atmosphere.ย ย  AFAIK - straight petrol is train tankered (overnight) from the refineries to the "Dry" terminals and it is here that the Ethanol is added just prior to road tanker.ย ย  I suppose it aids the CAP grain over-target + weather spoilt grain.ย  Even post-BREXIT , the RPA is fully funded equiv. of CAP subsidy for several years.

AFAIK - situation unchanged to several years ago - it takes more energy to produce Ethanol to go into the production machinery , than the Ethanol obtained as product !

All the yellow fields that once you never observed in the countryside - the Oil seed Rape (virgin)ย  and it's brash rubbish pressing - makes up the % added to mineral DERV or straight bioDiesel.ย ย 

8 hours ago, Diana and Jackie said:

An electric tank is the way ahead for the future ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚, electric tractors ploughing fields and electric combine harvesters ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

"I've got a brand new combine harvester, and I'll give you the key ..."ย  ๐Ÿ™‚

Andy

• Haha 1

That being said, what are practical things to do to 'convert' standard vehicles to this poison? I guess changing the fuel pump membrane for an E10-resistant one and draining the carb every time you put it away? I'm not sure if you can actually nullify the effects of ethanol with an additive, although some of the Premium fuels (98) reportedly have 5% or even no ethanol added at all... Might be worth checking the websites of various suppliers to see which ones.

3 hours ago, earlymb said:

That being said, what are practical things to do to 'convert' standard vehicles to this poison? I guess changing the fuel pump membrane for an E10-resistant one and draining the carb every time you put it away? I'm not sure if you can actually nullify the effects of ethanol with an additive, although some of the Premium fuels (98) reportedly have 5% or even no ethanol added at all... Might be worth checking the websites of various suppliers to see which ones.

Arrive at the only conclusion.ย ย ย ย  Ethanol in bulk tanker delivery is done using tanks ofย  Grade 100 Series , Stainless Steel.ย  Obviously there is "Regulation" on shifting the stuff , however once within a car fuel tank the gov. don't give s.f.a.

As we know , it can attack some Buna (synthetic) rubber , also some plastics - I assume plastic fuel tanks are OKย  ?

Years ago when ethanol /petrol mix was being used , car tanks were Terne Steel and fuel lines were in the main Bundy (more or less rolled Terne).ย ย  Rubber fuel hose seems a modern problem , although it should be well marked for suitability.ย  Much fear propaganda when E5 was introduced , I have had no problems.ย  E10 may be different.ย ย  Light ends vapping off is supposed to be a problem - that would only be with a vented system, same with the hygroscopic problem.

• 1 month later...

After all this, Climate Change will still continue to be controlled by the sun (in the sky) as it has since the beginning.

The Museum of London has records for last half million years, showing warming reaches a peak every 100,000 years approximately, and we are getting to be 1,000 year away from the top, followed by a plunge in to ice age. All this was going on well before the invention of man (and woman).

However they did not have taxes in those days and we all know that paying more tax will save the climate and reduce the rate of warming. Plus Acts of Parliament are also something new and those that command that the a certain element on the periodic table (CO2) goes away will surely succeed, like King Canute and the tide.

Hi All

When US went over to E10 gas years ago it had a dramatic and problematic impact on MVs.ย  In as little as one tank full, fuel pumps failed, flexible fuel lines leaked or swollen to the extent they didn't pass fuel, gas cans started leaking around the caps.

The first couple parades that year it was not uncommon to have a truck fail, often the story went like this, "well I filled the tank this morning on the way to the parade".

The thing noticed was the drop in power and fuel mileage.ย 

Once people, in our MV Club figured out what was going on, it was a race find the actual ethonal resistant Gates hose.ย  Fuel pumps were more problematic.ย ย 

Good luck on the change over.

Cheers Phil

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

• Up 1

23 hours ago, Diana and Jackie said:

Recently did a little experiment on E5 petrol, added 600ml of water to 4 litres of petrol, I extracted the 600ml of water out and another 600ml of Ethanol.

It can be got out just takes a lot of effort. Have yet to find out the effect on the engine.

Diana

BBC local news for NE & Cumbria , had a feature a few days ago about a firm who could runย  24/7 producing sanitizer gel , but can't get Ethanol & in any case the ยฃ they are paying is x4 what it had been prior to the virus.ย ย  Your E5 does seem high on Ethanol content but I am no chemist or mathematician ,,

I see that people who run vintage bikes use Avgas. I have seen youtube videos of how to extract ethanol from petrol, looks straight forward. Not sure if there is some kind of additive you can add that reduces the effects of ethanol.

On 4/15/2020 at 10:21 PM, Diana and Jackie said:

Recently did a little experiment on E5 petrol, added 600ml of water to 4 litres of petrol, I extracted the 600ml of water out and another 600ml of Ethanol.

It can be got out just takes a lot of effort. Have yet to find out the effect on the engine.

Diana

Care to clarify, that sounds like you used E15 petrol not E5 or have I missed something?

1 hour ago, radiomike7 said:

Care to clarify, that sounds like you used E15 petrol not E5 or have I missed something?

Asda don't sell E15ย ย  my way, perhaps they do with you?ย  so yesย  it's E5. And yes 600ml in 1200ml out, anyone want to try getting more than 600ml out be my guest.

Edited by Diana and Jackie